Stationary belt sander

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mayhem

Minister of Fire
May 8, 2007
Saugerties, NY
In the process of refinishing my deck I'm having to sand down, repalce some boards that got carpenter ants in em and I've decided to sand the deck smooth and clean before refinishing. Part of that process will be to pull all the 6' long fence sections off, disasemble them and sand the individual boards clean and smooth, then apply stain and anti-insect treatment properly before reassembling. I've got a good 160-170 1x1 cedar spindles to clean up and stain so I'm thinking a stationary belt sander would be the way to go. Place like Sears wants $150 minimum for their basic ones and most other palces are either higher or (like Home Depot), just don't sell table top or pedistal sanders...so I've turned to Craigslist.

Found what looks like a nice one, about 30 minutes away.

Grizzly Dual Sander (6" Belt / 9" Disc) - 3/4 HP motor ~ $75/b.r.o.

Pics look good, seems like a nice heavy unit and the belt is big enough and heavy enough that I'm not likely to go through 17 of them to do what I've got to do.

Never heard of the brand, guy says its avalable. Like to know people's opinion. Is it worht the asking price? Should I offer $60 and see what the seller says? Ad's been up since late June. Assume it works properly, but will probably need a new belt and disc.

Attachments

• 3k43m43lf5T45Q55P5b7a493d006913501ef8.jpg
    3k43m43lf5T45Q55P5b7a493d006913501ef8.jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 206
  • 3kd3ob3pf5T35P25R1b7ae881fe7453dc12e7.jpg
    3kd3ob3pf5T35P25R1b7ae881fe7453dc12e7.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 198
It's a real good price if it is the old version of this one:

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Combination-Sander-with-Cabinet-Stand/G1014ZX

Grizzly is fairly popular with woodworkers. I haven't heard of too many unsatisfied customers.

I'm not sure a lunchbox style plainer wouldn't be better for the job, but if the tool you are looking at isn't up to the task I think you could easily get more than you are out for it.

Matt

Good used equipment is always a great buy. Sometimes you can also resell it for what you bought it for!

Attachments

• SANDCLEAN8.216.jpg
    SANDCLEAN8.216.jpg
    2.6 KB · Views: 144
Grizzly is generally the Chinese knockoff of the name brands that are probably built in China anyway. I have a Griz. 15" bandsaw that I really like. There's not that much to really go wrong on a belt sander like that. I rebuilt one (It's gray, so I'll guess Delta) that looked like one roller got hit by a car, and I use it a fair bit still.

Status
Not open for further replies.