Steam Kettle Question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tlhfirelion

Feeling the Heat
Aug 6, 2007
this is a basic quetion I know but just want to get some feedback. I have one of those black cast iron steam kettles for the top of my stove. When it is hot and empty can I fill it with hot water or just regular water or do I need to let it cool down first?

Thanks.

beau5278 said:
If it's cast iron,let it cool,newer cast isn't as bad as the older cast but putting cold water into hot cast would probably crack it.

cool thank u! I just set it in the oven for a few minutes (a cold oven) and let it cool down then fill.

On mine, I just dump faucet temp water into the empty pot. Never cracked and I have been doing this for a while (years). And if you are wondering, it doesn't matter if the stove top is at 500 or 700 to me. Your mileage may vary.

Status
Not open for further replies.