Steam Pot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kenwit

Jan 2, 2010
long island
I'm going to install my 1st insert this weekend. Do a lot of you boil water on the stove top? Is moisture a problem? Or some way for the fairer sex add perfume to us and our dogs?

Many of us put a pot on the stove for humidity, but IME it doesn't do much. I think a dedicated humidifier will do more.

I have made a pot bubble, but never a rolling boil.

You're on your own with the perfume.

Matt

Air is dry in winter. Outside, it's dry because it's cold, and that forces the moisture out of it. Inside, it's even dryer because it's warmer, and that means the RH goes down unless there's an infusion of moisture. Some folks seem to want to attribute dry indoor air to heating with wood, but it really doesn't matter what your heat source is. Indoor air in winter is dry. A kettle of water on a wood stove...even if you can bring it to a rolling boil...isn't going have much effect on your indoor RH, unless it's big and you keep it that way (really boiling) all the time...which means constantly refilling it. A pot on the woodstove might be a pleasant potpourri scenter, though. If you're concerned about relative humidity in your home during the winter, then a dedicated humidifier is what you want to look for. If it's just a matter of what you and your dogs smell like to somebody else in the house, well, I'm stayin' outta that one. %-P Rick

With my old stove I used a large stainless roasting pan. It just about covered the entire stove top. It held about 2 gallons of water and I would fill it twice a day most days. The shallow depth and large surface area promoted rapid evaporation. After a few weeks the RH in the room would start to rise to comfortable levels. The new stove is a top-fill design, so there goes my humidification technique.

I can't use a dehumidifier here because I have extremely hard water, but since the stove is in the basement, I try to mop a couple buckets of hot water onto the cement floor every day. It's a major PITA, but it really makes a difference.

Worst situation I ever had was with a huge gravity flow wood furnace. I had a huge wide belt dehumidifier in that house, held over 5 gallons. The air got so dry there that I could pump that tank dry twice a day and the air still seemed thirsty. House was leaky as a sieve, so that didn't help at all. Plus, the furnace got the place so hot that I actually had to open the doors a few times a day to cool it off, which let in even more dry winter air.

Pulling dry winter air in from outside is the reason why inside RH gets so low with wood stoves. My new stove uses a lot of air, so I'm thinking of adding an OAK just for that reason.

Ditto to above. For looks mostly, plus a little bit of humidification, I just bought a soapstone steamer for wife's birthday. Body shop sells scented natural oils that were on sale for $2 instead of $7.50 - they are the ones you would use with those stick infusers. They seem to smell a bit..

EatenByLimestone said:
Many of us put a pot on the stove for humidity, but IME it doesn't do much. I think a dedicated humidifier will do more.

Matt

I use a stove top boiler - one of those cast iron teapots - fill it twice a day. Near my stove, on the mantle, I have a digital gadget that reads temp, pressure, and relative humidity, along with a grossly inaccurate weather forecast for the next 24 hours. Before I added the teapot, I averaged 20% RH. With the teapot I now run anywhere from 20 to 29% RH. I also have a humidifier on our "main" living level, the stove is in a finished basement, but that's been running all along, so I feel I do get a measurable difference in RH.

-Al

Hearth Mounted Kent Sherwood

tried potporri once.
3 days later noticed it was REALLY STEAMING and had to toss it in with the burning splits real quick.

I swear we get more moisture off my boots and from having the dryer vented inside, but that's another thread.

agartner said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

I use a stove top boiler - one of those cast iron teapots - fill it twice a day. Near my stove, on the mantle, I have a digital gadget that reads temp, pressure, and relative humidity, along with a grossly inaccurate weather forecast for the next 24 hours. Before I added the teapot, I averaged 20% RH. With the teapot I now run anywhere from 20 to 29% RH. I also have a humidifier on our "main" living level, the stove is in a finished basement, but that's been running all along, so I feel I do get a measurable difference in RH.

Do you guys put the pot directly on the stove, or on a tivet? My fear is that a pot right on steel or iron will pull the pain off or cause rust. Any truth there?

Mr. Kelly said:
agartner said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Matt

Do you guys put the pot directly on the stove, or on a tivet? My fear is that a pot right on steel or iron will pull the pain off or cause rust. Any truth there?

Iron pot and steel stove. I can see some marks on the stove where the pot rests, but no rust as of yet. I imagine eventually there will be rust - bound to happen wherever dissimilar metals meet, but then that's when I haul the stove outside, sand, and re-paint.

I've only placed steel on steel. I've never had an issue with rust but you never know...

Matt

On the roasting pan I used on my old stove, the rivets that held the handles on eventually corroded from the hard water. If I filled it past the handle height, water started to leak onto the top. Drip... p-ssst..... drip... p-ssst..... drip... p-ssst..... and I let it continue because the stove was so beat anyway. No rust, but some very interesting looking mineral deposits after a while. These things aren't that important when you have a metal box full of fire down in your basement, but I'm sure those with pretty stoves in their living rooms would find my stove to be not a fitting accouterment for their decor.

Battenkiller said:
...No rust, but some very interesting looking mineral deposits after a while...

Take some pics. If you can convince folks that you can see some certain image(s) in those deposits, then that stove is worth a fortune on eBay. Even more if they can be made to appear to weep or bleed. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Battenkiller said:
...No rust, but some very interesting looking mineral deposits after a while...

Take some pics. If you can convince folks that you can see some certain image(s) in those deposits, then that stove is worth a fortune on eBay. Even more if they can be made to appear to weep or bleed. %-P Rick

LOL!

I think there are some spots of charred skin around the loading door opening. IIRC, I may have invoked the name of the Lord our Savior during some of those times, making the stove even more of an important religious artifact.

I've got mine on a 6x6 porcelain tile. Works well.

Our cast steamer sits on a trivet. Without one, you risk the steamer getting too hot and the water boiling over. Then you face rust or white water marks that are nearly impossible to rid.

nojo said:
I've got mine on a 6x6 porcelain tile. Works well.

Much easier to sell on Ebay should interesting mineral deposits be made on it too.

Matt

i have 2 kettles sitting on my stove directly..... plus a humidifer in the same room fill the kettles everytime i open the stove door... 2-3xs a day makes a huge difference the kettles mainly do the room and the fan blowing cold air into the room catches the humidifier on the way outta the room for the rest of the house.... makes a huge diff

Any ill effects if you leave a pot on the stove after all the water has vaporized? If you leave a teapot on a kitchen hot burner after the water is gone you usually end up with a blackened charbroiled piece of junk metal. Does this happen on stoves too? I suspect so!

Mr. Kelly said:
Any ill effects if you leave a pot on the stove after all the water has vaporized? If you leave a teapot on a kitchen hot burner after the water is gone you usually end up with a blackened charbroiled piece of junk metal. Does this happen on stoves too? I suspect so!
I have noticed no damage to my cast iron kettle from boiling it dry, just a bunch of white, rusty crud that discolors the water as some of it goes back into suspension upon refilling. It is a good idea to wear gloves when putting water into a hot cast kettle. It can flash off enough steam/water vapor to make things downright uncomfortable for a few seconds to whoever might be holding the handle.

Mr. Kelly said:

Not with a cast iron pot. cast iron is pretty much indestructible.

Status
Not open for further replies.