Sthil 041

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chad S.

Nov 27, 2007
West Bend WI
I am thinking about checking out a olf 041 "farm boss" off CL for $165. Looks like the guy gets junk saws and rebuilds them. 22" bar on it and for 20 more 2 extra chains. Is this reasonable?

if it runs then I'd call it a good deal. if it's in good shape then it's an awesome deal.

I used an 041 for a year on loan from a friend. It's a simple, strong saw. But make sure it is in good working order.

I have this old girl as a collector. Pulls like a tractor. I have heard they were the reliable slant 6 of the chainsaws back in their day.

Attachments

• sthil 041 AV.jpg
    sthil 041 AV.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 243
Hard to say without seeing it or knowing your experiences working on chainsaws. This saw was discontinued 35 years ago in the mid seventies. It was a great saw in its day and if in good running condition could do a man very well. If it needs work and you like working on saws that price is high. Run a compression test , and pull the muffler and look at the cylinder for scoring.
No chain brake, no anti-vibes, and points unless it has been updated.

http://www.acresinternet.com/cscc.n...debc625f5d16dd1e88256dee001f917a?OpenDocument

I'm still using the 041 I got during the bicentennial, a very good saw but no chain break. If this is to be your 1st saw I would advise you pass on it. If you're experienced it'll make an excellent 2nd saw. Pretty sure back in the day I paid 425 for it and that was a lot of dough back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.