Sthil Guru's ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
In the market to replace old Husky 61. (28 years old, chain brake broke & missing parts, lots of broken & cracked plastic, Trigger handle almost
cracked all the way thru etc) Just old & well used like it's owner)

Stihl dealer 400 yard down the street. (moved in last fall)
Stopped & looked today. Saws have changed a little :)

He recommends the 311 or 362 to replace what I have now & what I use it for. (10 - 12 cord/year of firewood)
Does not yet have the 311s in yet but has a 310 & a 362

Has a 310 & 1 extra chisel chain for $429. Dealer say it's almost equivalent to the 311. Good saw??

Also he says it will run the skip chain just fin & up to a 25" bar. He says with the Skip chain, saw won't bog down, & will still cut as fast as regular chisel.

311....14 lbs ... 59.0 cc ...$479 when they come in (but basically the same saw as the 362 plastic instead of titanium handle & other parts )

362...13 lbs ...59.0cc (titanium instead of plastic) little more HP ...$679 (ouch)

Why 362 have little more HP than the 311? (not that I'd notice .4 more bhp) (better exhaust?)

Anybody familiar with the 310. Wondering why phased out?
Gut feeling says wait for 311s to come in.
or sell the truck & buy the 362.

Not looked at Husqvarna's yet. Stihl dealer so close.

In research pre-buy mode.

Not sure if the stihl dealers do this but ask him if he can locate you the 361 at $$$. The 362 just came out like the 311 did . The 361 has a really good reputation . I beleave the new saws 311 391 362 are now what they call the new strato engine , these are built to meet the new emision standards . The 362 is a pro saw better everything , should last you another 30 years . The 290,311,391 are there intermediate big saws again should last a long time but the saws are made cheaper . I know one of the best things on my 361 is the anti vibration . That saw just doesnt vibrate at all.

webie said:
Not sure if the stihl dealers do this but ask him if he can locate you the 361 at $$$. The 362 just came out like the 311 did . The 361 has a really good reputation . I beleave the new saws 311 391 362 are now what they call the new strato engine , these are built to meet the new emision standards . The 362 is a pro saw better everything , should last you another 30 years . The 290,311,391 are there intermediate big saws again should last a long time but the saws are made cheaper . I know one of the best things on my 361 is the anti vibration . That saw just doesnt vibrate at all.
sell the truck

10-12 cords a year 310 going to be fine if the biggest bar your using now is a 18in.

Given your 2 options listed get the 362. You shouldn't even consider the 311. If you don't want to pony up for a pro model, then get the 390/391 for about $500. If you can handle repairs on you own, you should look at the Makita 6401. Either new or a used Home Depot model, it is the best bang for the buck in 60cc class.

The 311 is being phased out because it dosen't meet the new EPA requirements. The newer models are more fuel efficeint and usually .5-1lb heavier then the one they are replacing....310/311....390/391....361/362....440/441.

Thanks for the input.

20" bar, at least must.
Was told the 311 was same engine as 362 just plastic parts where the 362 uses titanium parts & is the pro model (grip, covers etc)
I'll check on the 361, other dealers may have one. Rough price $$$ of the 361?
Never thought about HD Makita. I'll check it out.

Will the new saw 362 meet the "replace old appliances with new more efficient models" tax credit the feds are having ?? ;)

Dave, picked up a 361 Arctic today! Only had a 1/2 or so to cut with it, seems real nice. It was true, the 361 would have been more expensive then the Arctic version but the diff was only $ 50 so I went with it. Pretty much only for the heated handles. got heated handles on my quad, & sled so I figured what the hell. More testing planed for 8:00 am tomorrow.

361's sell for $599 with an 18" bar, but because they're going the way of the Dodo most dealers are giving swinging deals. This, added to the extra weight of the 362, makes a good deal even better.

I got my 361 for $599 a couple months back. That price included 18" & 16" bars, three RSC chains (2-18" & 1-16"), a gallon of bar oil, and a 6-pack of 2-stroke oil.

S

thinkxingu said:
361's sell for $599 with an 18" bar, but because they're going the way of the Dodo most dealers are giving swinging deals. This, added to the extra weight of the 362, makes a good deal even better.

I got my 361 for $599 a couple months back. That price included 18" & 16" bars, three RSC chains (2-18" & 1-16"), a gallon of bar oil, and a 6-pack of 2-stroke oil.

S

+1 I knew the 361 is a great saw and got a great trade in on my 260 as well.

Reread my post made above "in haste" The 361 would have been $ 50 less then the Arctic version. Not what I was told on the phone. For $745 I got the 361 Arctic, 1 bottle of mix oil, a spare chain, 3 files and some advice from a good dealer. Around here the real dealers are getting to be far and few between, Every JD store here now also has Stihl, even if they do not know a thing about them.

The guys I bought my 361 from knew saws and even had a spot out back for you to test them. Offered to mount up what ever bar I wanted to try it out with.

I was able to get out today with it and cut some wood... F**king WOW it's a light saber for wood. Between this and the 250 I think I have my 2 saw team. Just need to say goodbye to the Husky 61 (20"), the 290 & the (gulp) 028.

’bert said:
Reread my post made above "in haste" The 361 would have been $ 50 less then the Arctic version. Not what I was told on the phone. For $745 I got the 361 Arctic, 1 bottle of mix oil, a spare chain, 3 files and some advice from a good dealer. Around here the real dealers are getting to be far and few between, Every JD store here now also has Stihl, even if they do not know a thing about them.

The guys I bought my 361 from knew saws and even had a spot out back for you to test them. Offered to mount up what ever bar I wanted to try it out with.

I was able to get out today with it and cut some wood... F**king WOW it's a light saber for wood. Between this and the 250 I think I have my 2 saw team. Just need to say goodbye to the Husky 61 (20"), the 290 & the (gulp) 028.

BYE BYE , Hackyburpa!!!!

’bert said:
Just need to say goodbye to the Husky 61 (20"), the 290 & the (gulp) 028.
I have a nice warm spot near a woodstove for your 028, it can keep mine company. i don't have much to offer you ($$), but you can be sure it would be well loved, lol....

Anyway, is what i've heard/read about heated handles true? they don't really do much other than give you wet gloves by the end of the day, which actually makes you colder than you'd have been otherwise?

Cure for wet gloves is latex gloves underneath .

webie said:
wouldn't that just make your hands all sweaty?

Danno77 said:
webie said:

Works great I actually use nitril but same difference . Keeps your hands nice and toasty warm and dry .

Latex gloves always make my hands sweaty.

webie said:
Danno77 said:
webie said:

Works great I actually use nitril but same difference . Keeps your hands nice and toasty warm and dry .
I'll have to try that. I have a box of nitrile gloves inside for staining wood, and a box outside for working on the car. takes two seconds to put them on and saves me half an hour in front of a sink trying to get grease and oil off....

Dealer has a ms361, 20" , in Anchorage. Can bring to the Wasilla store, $609 & I get 1 spare chain.
$70 cheaper than the 362.

bogydave said:
Dealer has a ms361, 20" , in Anchorage. Can bring to the Wasilla store, $609 & I get 1 spare chain.

thats the part that still makes the 361 look good it a great saw.

smokinjay said:
bogydave said:

Not sure on the price if he is willing to go 609 he is probably holding for the 600 mark .
Tell him 600 cash and a 6 pack of mixing oil and you will pick it up on thursday .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
bogydave said:

Not sure on the price if he is willing to go 609 he is probably holding for the 600 mark .
Tell him 600 cash and a 6 pack of mixing oil and you will pick it up on thursday .

I have gotten some great deals on saw over the last couple years 10 percnet seems to be prety easy. got 100.00 off on a demo 192t my 361 with extra chain and gloves was 140.00 cash and a 260pro

smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
bogydave said:

I have gotten some great deals on saw over the last couple years 10 percnet seems to be prety easy. got 100.00 off on a demo 192t my 361 with extra chain and gloves was 140.00 cash and a 260pro
Honestly I think I paid 529 with a 20 inch bar and 2 saw chains .

webie said:
smokinjay said:
webie said:
smokinjay said:
bogydave said:

Honestly I think I paid 529 with a 20 inch bar and 2 saw chains .
I would think there some room thee to get the 361 out the door.And still have one says they dont sell many pro saws.

Dave, you should look into the Arctic version, i have seen all the snow in your pics. The heated carb also prevents freeze up if you are cutting while there is snow around. If it's cold out and the snow falls off the tree as your cutting it type thing. The heated handle may be a benefit to you as well. I bet you got 'em on your quad. Why not on your saw? I will post some sort of "review" of the Arctic features of my saw next winter. Too warm here now to matter.

'bert

Status
Not open for further replies.