Stick of black Walnut!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
other uses for black walnut! And a touch of stag.

Attachments

• cain.jpg
    cain.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 417
Man, do you carry that thing when you go out? I ain't getting into a bar fight with you, that cane looks lethal. :lol:

Are you going to put a nice oil finish on it? I love a little BLO followed by a nice wax...

Matt

Battenkiller said:
Man, do you carry that thing when you go out? I ain't getting into a bar fight with you, that cane looks lethal. :lol:

I have a longer one for that...lol

EatenByLimestone said:
Are you going to put a nice oil finish on it? I love a little BLO followed by a nice wax...

Matt

Yes that is just rough in.

Adding a little detail.

Attachments

• cain 1.jpg
    cain 1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 336
EatenByLimestone said:

Ever try Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil gunstock finish? It's a fantastic finishing oil. Fills pores on wood like oak and walnut very well, and dries hard. Almost like varnish, only softer looking. It's a proprietary blend, probably has BLO as well as tung, plus some driers added. I buy it by the gallon to get the price down. I'll give you a sample when you bring that burl over. :cheese:

Here's what some nice black walnut (tulip poplar base) looks like with straight Tru-Oil as a finish.

IMG_4809.jpg

Battenkiller said:
EatenByLimestone said:

Ever try Birchwood Casey Tru-Oil gunstock finish? It's a fantastic finishing oil. Fills pores on wood like oak and walnut very well, and dries hard. Almost like varnish, only softer looking. It's a proprietary blend, probably has BLO as well as tung, plus some driers added. I buy it by the gallon to get the price down. I'll give you a sample when you bring that burl over. :cheese:

Here's what some nice black walnut (tulip poplar base) looks like with straight Tru-Oil as a finish.

IMG_4809.jpg

Nice Finnish!

A-cord-ingLEE said:
Dat's a back o' the sack scratcher! Taint it?

LOL Yepper!

Looks very handy too.

Battenkiller said:
EatenByLimestone said:

IMG_4809.jpg

I set that burl and another aside. The first one was a bit hollowed out from a tree cavity.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.