stihl 024av will run but not idle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuco1963

Dec 24, 2010
east central indiana
hi all
ive picked up a 1992 model year stihl 024av 41cc for $120 it runs and restarts easy but will not idle , i put sea foam in the gas tank and let it run for 10 minutes to no avail it still wont idle any ideas?

also it takes the .325 bar and chain but the shortest bar for it is 16" any ideas on how to put a 12 or 14 bar on it im looking for a super limber

I'd guess this vintage of saw has 2 needle adjustment screws on the carb.
Should have L and H stamped near them.
Turn L closed(clockwise) then open 1-/1/2 turns you may have to keep opening/closing it to increase/decrease the idle.
Arboristsite.com is full of chainsaw experts that will guide you in tuning the saw.

hi thank you very much i will try this

Does the saw die only when you release the trigger? You might try adjusting the LA screw first before playing with the L screw. Screw in the LA until the chain begins to turn then back it off until the chain stops.

Putting the 12 or 14 on it isn't going to happen with a Stihl bar. They don't make one that small for the 024 as far as I know. You could convert it to 16" with 3/8" Picco chain and go that route. Picco chain will speed up your limbing. Bar length doesn't really matter too much so long as the bar nose sticks out the other side. A 16" bar will zip through a 4" limb just as fast as a 12" The conversion parts are not always on the shelf at your Stihl dealer so here's your shopping list.

1121 007 1005 - Rim Sprocket Kit 3/8P 8T
3003 000 6313 - 16" 3/8 Picco .050 Bar
63PS3-60 - 3/8 Picco .050 60 Link Full-Chisel Chain

And yes Virginia, that combo works for the 026/MS260 too! ;-)

thanks much im interested in trying the 3/8 switchover that way i could use chains from my mac 610
i wonder if my mac bar would work on it also?

tuco1963 in the great ohio valley said:
thanks much im interested in trying the 3/8 switchover that way i could use chains from my mac 610
i wonder if my mac bar would work on it also?

I don't think your Mac 610 was running 3/8 Picco chain? 60cc saw should have regular 3/8" on it.

MasterMech said:
smokinjay said:

I didn't see any of those bars listed as fitting a Stihl 024. Am I missing something? He still needs to ditch the .325 and go 3/8" Low-pro/Picco if he wants to build a light-sabre.

That .325 should work fine at 13 inchs on a 024. I would just stick with the .325 there's more than enough hp to haul some @ss.

I got a husky 350 like your Stihl that runs well starts easy but will not idle and the low idle screw has no effect. I can adjust the throttle screw to make it run at 3300 but anything lower than that it will die.

My 021 did act like that to. I pulled the gas line out and streched and I saw lots of small cracks in it,so I replaced it with a new one,works good now.

once again thanks for all the help if its possible the 13" bar is what i was thinking of , i would love to beef it up to a 3/8 bar and chain but for a limbing saw i must be cost consious to further my cad sthil saw collection but a special thanks to mech and jay for all the info

tuco1963 in the great ohio valley said:
once again thanks for all the help if its possible the 13" bar is what i was thinking of , i would love to beef it up to a 3/8 bar and chain but for a limbing saw i must be cost consious to further my cad sthil saw collection but a special thanks to mech and jay for all the info

stick with the .325 will give you the best bang for your buck.

Status
Not open for further replies.