Stihl 026 for $50-good deal?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Badfish740

Minister of Fire
Oct 3, 2007
My dad just called saying he picked up a Stihl 026 with a 20" bar for $50 from a cleanout he did today. It won't start, but the saw looks to be in good condition and according to the homeowner it's been sitting unused in the garage for over two years so it's likely just clogged with varnish. From what I can gather about it its a professional model-is that right? I did an E-bay search and found prices for used models all over the place. He's not interested in reselling it though-he's going to get it tuned up and keep it around the house for whenever he needs a saw which really isn't often since my parents don't heat with wood. I think I might be borrowing it soon though ;)

If you can do your own work then it could be a very good deal, depending on what's wrong with it. You could need a $75 part and then you'd be right around what you could have paid for a running one.

It's a nice saw if it doesn't take much to get it going.

Its a crap shot but as a parts saw only its worth that!

It's a good deal; 026's rock! Easy to work on, parts are plentiful, and they are light, tough saws with good power.

I paid $47 for my 026. About 5 years ago a guy shows up on my job site with some stuff for sale. Out of work and needing money. He wants $100 for the saw. I had $47 in my wallet. Felt bad for him, but it is one of the best saws I have ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.