Stihl 029 losing its prime

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I've got a low mileage 029 that steadily is getting harder to start. The issue appears to be fuel related. I took it into the shop and they said a common problem is fuel strainer clogging, so we replaced the in-tank fuel strainer. That worked for the day, but soon afterward it started getting harder to start again. Today it took about 15 pulls before it fired up. The fuel is good, so is the plug. Once it's warm it starts right up, first pull. But then I ran out of gas, and now it won't start for love or money. I pulled the plug and it is bone dry.

One thing about this saw is there is no primer bulb to get fuel flowing. Any thoughts on why this might be happening and a fix? It used to start great every time.

Not sure what your weather is but the colder it is the longer it takes to fire my saw's. If the fuel filter is new and it runs great after its warm Weather related my guess. Fuel lines would be my next step...

It was close to 50 today. The Echo leaf blower started right up on second pull, same fuel. I'll search around to see if I can get a good diagram on how the carb is plumbed. The term impulse line is new to me, I've never worked on the saw other than maintenance.

BeGreen said:
It was close to 50 today. The Echo leaf blower started right up on second pull, same fuel. I'll search around to see if I can get a good diagram on how the carb is plumbed. The term impulse line is new to me, I've never worked on the saw other than maintenance.

change the lines.

If the above suggestions do not fix the problem, it is time to start looking closely at the carb. Dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding is not a very difficult task with the proper IPL for the carb. We can probably walk you through it or some shops will do it for under $50.

HittinSteel said:
If the above suggestions do not fix the problem, it is time to start looking closely at the carb. Dismantling, cleaning and rebuilding is not a very difficult task with the proper IPL for the carb. We can probably walk you through it or some shops will do it for under $50.

How much does a new one fetch now?

smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

$350, I think.

Or were you talking about buying a new carb? Madness! Start by cleaning it -- it's a super-easy job to clean out a carb. My hunch is the screen on the intake has gotten clogged up with varnish.

Roscoe Picco Chain said:
smokinjay said:
HittinSteel said:

$350, I think.

Or were you talking about buying a new carb? Madness! Start by cleaning it -- it's a super-easy job to clean out a carb. My hunch is the screen on the intake has gotten clogged up with varnish.

I was talking about the carb.....lol

Or a diaphram or inlet needle spring may be worn not allowing fuel in

southbound said:
Hurry up and figure this out!!! I just picked up a lightly used ms 290 that has some of the same symptoms....

lol fuel filter fuel lines and carb kit everything coverd and fill good about selling it

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=154979 this thread is about my 029 with pics of carb kit I bought for it. I purchased the 029 few weeks ago not knowing that the previous owner started a carb rebuild and put it all back together without finishing. Carb was missing all the gaskets and diaphram and I attempted everything to try to start it before I pulled it off to find it all missing. I purchased this walbro carb kit and after reading alot of threads here and arborist site and watching youtube about rebuilding it I did my first carb rebuild. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180585029689 Saw runs excellent now. Here are a few pics of it now completed with 18" bar.

It could be the impulse line the fuel line or the carb needs rebuilding.

Attachments

• Photo0574_001 (Large).jpg
    Photo0574_001 (Large).jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 410
  • Photo0576_001 (Large).jpg
    Photo0576_001 (Large).jpg
    109 KB · Views: 441
Good job Pellet!

Not a real daunting task once you've done the research and get in to it. Ability to rebuild a carb is a great skill to have.

HittinSteel said:
Good job Pellet!

Not a real daunting task once you've done the research and get in to it. Ability to rebuild a carb is a great skill to have.

BTW, that 029 becomes a much different saw with a relatively easy muffler mod.

HittinSteel said:
HittinSteel said:
Good job Pellet!

BTW, that 029 becomes a much different saw with a relatively easy muffler mod.

I have been reading about the muffler mod as well and I recently purchased a used muffler to do just that but I want to use it for a while stock and then change the muffler to see if I do notice any difference.

Hope the original thread starter gets his 029 back up working properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.