Stihl 056

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bugboy

Mar 5, 2007
north-central Kansas
I've got a guy at work who said he'll trade me his Stihl 056 for some duck decoys. I used it briefly last year when he came over to help me on some really big ash trees and seemed to run pretty good. Is there anything I need to look out for on this saw?

Pull the muffler and look at the cylinder walls and piston...Looking for score marks. 056 is a Nice Saw!

Can we safely assume these are some awesome Duck Decoys?

ISeeDeadBTUs said:
Can we safely assume these are some awesome Duck Decoys?

I hope their awesome enough for him to go through with the deal. The best part is that most of the decoys were free.

The guy at work backed out on swapping the 056 for decoys. He said he'll sell it to me for what he has in it,,, $270.00. I'm thinking it over.

If its in good condition I would be thing pretty hard. One thing is this saw going to be bigger than the work you normally do?

I would still use my 025 for most stuff, it's just sometimes I run across a tree that is too big to tackle with the 025 with a 16" bar.

I'm going to find out which model it is and then call the local Stihl guy to see if parts are readily available and if he can fix it if something goes wrong.

Bugboy said:
I would still use my 025 for most stuff, it's just sometimes I run across a tree that is too big to tackle with the 025 with a 16" bar.

I'm going to find out which model it is and then call the local Stihl guy to see if parts are readily available and if he can fix it if something goes wrong.

You can find parts easy enouh for it. Its a HOSS of a saw its in between a 460-660

I told the guy I'd pass. I talked to a couple of dealers and they said they weren't very supportable parts wise and it was the electronic ignition version.

Bugboy said:
I told the guy I'd pass. I talked to a couple of dealers and they said they weren't very supportable parts wise and it was the electronic ignition version.

If you have to ask the dealership for anything, its not the right saw for you. Not beating you up but on the older saw's you want to know your way around them inside and out.

Yep, you're right. I did that before with an old tractor and I don't have the patience, skills or time to mess around with fixer-uppers. Thanks for confirming my decision. My 025 I bought new and have never had a single issue with it and that is what I'll want if I get a bigger saw.

Status
Not open for further replies.