Stihl 064/066 update

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

southbound

Minister of Fire
May 26, 2008
mid south tn
Thought I would post some pic's of it dirty for all you folks that don't think I run my saws :p

A friend of mine asked if I could get ride of a stump a tree service left behind...He did not tell me it was oak and 5 foot 7 at the ground.O and it was a crotch 5 foot tall..Needles to say the 20 inch bar stayed berried all day.........

I have run 9 or 10 tanks in this thing it it has been a hard 10 tanks....I don't baby new saws run them like they are gonna be run their entier life....

DSC03691.jpg

DSC03690.jpg

DSC03696.jpg

DSC03699.jpg

DSC03700.jpg

DSC03703.jpg

I started off with the 9 pin rim but it keeps throwing the chain and the last time it put burrs on the dl and it would not fit back in the bar....It cuts like crazy with the 9 pin it just wont hold a chain..The stupid plastic name tag broke off first thing too..

It is a bit rich and stalling at idle so it will go back to get re adjusted funny I ran the 038 a little too and it was the same way..

the stump yielded a car hauler full of oak my little truck blew a head gasket or cracked a head on the way home... I just put the hitch on and it was it's first time pulling...

One last thing I have never had a Stihl bar loose that much paint that fast.............

What no pics of the stump?

southbound said:
forgot the camera...

it never happen then. heck you could have forgot the saw not the camera! lol stumping not easy.

Ok tomorrow I will take a pic of the pile it made....I have to go back and take down dead tree and clean up some big limbs..When I do I will take the Sony and snap a pic for you....

sound sto me like u broke it in just right. 2 strokes need to be beat right off the bat and ridden hard all their lives. thats why they are made.

f3cbboy said:
sound sto me like u broke it in just right. 2 strokes need to be beat right off the bat and ridden hard all their lives. thats why they are made.

That's the same way I feel about them...............

southbound said:
Ok tomorrow I will take a pic of the pile it made....I have to go back and take down dead tree and clean up some big limbs..When I do I will take the Sony and snap a pic for you....

got to see what you feed the beast. And a 20 in. whats up with that?

I have not come across any big wood around here...The biggest stuff is pine and I don't burn pine...I see no need for a foot or two sticking out past the log I am bucking up....

southbound said:
I have not come across any big wood around here...The biggest stuff is pine and I don't burn pine...I see no need for a foot or two sticking out past the log I am bucking up....

mid tenn. doesnt have big timber I use a 28in. and still have to cut from both sides..

This area has been logged since time began... The bad part is it was not replanted like it should have been ..The forestry dept is doing a good job now but kinda late... All the hardwood is being replaced with pulp wood..

There is a large mill here and always has been. They own most of the land so folks like me can't go after firewood there... Now they are going green so they wont even be leaving the tops....

Hassell & Hughes Lumber Company http://www.hassellandhughes.com/about.html

they also do pellets..Greenway. http://www.greenwaypellets.com/

I worked for the other brother till I got laid off.. http://www.hugheshardwood.com/index.htm

southbound said:
This area has been logged since time began... The bad part is it was not replanted like it should have been ..The forestry dept is doing a good job now but kinda late... All the hardwood is being replaced with pulp wood..

There is a large mill here and always has been. They own most of the land so folks like me can't go after firewood there... Now they are going green so they wont even be leaving the tops....

Hassell & Hughes Lumber Company http://www.hassellandhughes.com/about.htm

they also do pellets..Greenway. http://www.greenwaypellets.com/

I worked for the other brother till I got laid off.. http://www.hugheshardwood.com/index.htm

wow sorry to here that! Your up this way I got a few you can run what you bung..

The guy that has this stump said if I thought that was big he had one to show me deep in the woods..I gues it is a lot bigger from what he was saying..The good part he said I could cut it down just for fun if I wanted...

So I guess I will be going to look at this thing...

smokinjay

You use .5 or .63 28" bar?????

Been looking at Bailey's they have some deals on .63 bars.......

southbound said:
The guy that has this stump said if I thought that was big he had one to show me deep in the woods..I gues it is a lot bigger from what he was saying..The good part he said I could cut it down just for fun if I wanted...

smokinjay

I run .50 28 in. and everytime i put a 20in. on it and think I am going to have a easy day, the first thing that happens is the bar gets switch to the 28in. would like to go with a 32 soon

you should be able to pull a 32in. .63 easy if the price is right

southbound said:
32" on the 460????

yes sir with no problems the ports are nice and smoth and a 3/4 in. muff mod. its a runner for sure

Attachments

• muff.jpg
    muff.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 463
  • oak.jpg
    oak.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 479
southbound said:
full comp or skip???

my 28 is full comp when I run a 32. it will be full skip couple post back is a 44 in oak.. you can see the muff modd

and the bar is barried with full comp

[double post

southbound said:
smokinjay said:
southbound said:
32" on the 460????

yes sir with no problems the ports are nice and smoth and a 3/4 in. muff mod. its a runner for sure

"ports are nice and smoth"

Is this hint to the fact it has been ported???

just trimed the casting defects

smokinjay said:
southbound said:

smokinjay

I run .50 28 in. and everytime i put a 20in. on it and think I am going to have a easy day, the first thing that happens is the bar gets switch to the 28in. would like to go with a 32 soon

you should be able to pull a 32in. .63 easy if the price is right

See it is pretty cheap... http://www.baileysonline.com/itemdetail.asp?item=CPX+28+SS63&catID;=

Status
Not open for further replies.