Stihl 441 or Husky 576/372

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bigbear

Jan 3, 2010
PA
Which would you choose between those 3 saws? I have both a stihl and a husky dealer in town here. I currenlty run a Jonsered 2150 and have decided its time for an upgrade. I ran an 066 last year when my Jonsered was in the shop getting a new block and my time to cut a trailer load of rounds was litterally cut in half.

Get a Husky......NOT! Seriously, both Stihl and Husqvarna make a darn good saw, if you decide to go with a Husky stay in the "XP" line. If it were my money and I was in the market for a new saw, the Stihl MS660 Magnum would be the one. Lots of money, yes. Lots of power, YES. For all the big stuff I cut, and I do a lot of it, that would be the saw I would buy. An MS441 isn't a bad saw, but why not look for a good used MS460? Better saw for less money.

Reactions: woodsmaster
Get a Husky......NOT! Seriously, both Stihl and Husqvarna make a darn good saw, if you decide to go with a Husky stay in the "XP" line. If it were my money and I was in the market for a new saw, the Stihl MS660 Magnum would be the one. Lots of money, yes. Lots of power, YES. For all the big stuff I cut, and I do a lot of it, that would be the saw I would buy. An MS441 isn't a bad saw, but why not look for a good used MS460? Better saw for less money.

Even new the difference in price between a 441 and 460 is only about $50.

EDIT: The 372xp is one of the only non-Stihl saws I'd consider buying, but the local Husqy dealer is a jack@$$. And I went with the 440 (rather than the 411 or 460) for two reasons - my Stihl dealer didn't have any 441s in stock, and the 460 would have put me just over the $1000 mark and $1k was my limit. Plus that, the 440 is a legend.

Reactions: ScotO
If I was buying new, it would be a 372 or 441 (or 440). I had been tossing this question around when the 440 was replaced with the 441 and I was leery. I was leery of the new 372 XP xtorq as well. I guess that is my nature. As time has progressed both new saws have laid down very good track records according to the local shops and internet and I would personally purchase either at this point depending on what factor made the final decision like price or weight. I think the 441 is a little heavier but these are not exactly small saws.

A friend of mine has the 576 and it is a good running saw. It very much reminds me of my 372, which is not an xtorq. I saw a comparison of the 576 and the 372 xtorq on the chainsawguy and I believe the new 372 strato air delivery system thingy (or whatever it is called) is more mature and a good deal simpler. I do know there are some significant write ups on the new 372 on arborist site and videos on youtube. I hear, again this is just local shop talk, that the 441 is a gas sipper for a saw that size. I'll post that video if I can find it.

Tough question, see if the dealers will compete for your business and let you run a demo saw.

I should hope there's a big difference between a JRed 2150 (50cc) and a MS660 (92cc)!!!

I'd go with a 441 M-Tronic (1st choice) or the 576XP w/Auto Tune. But I'm a techno-geek!

Am I missing something? Husky making a strato (x-torq) 372XP? I thought the 576XP was the strato replacement for the 372XP?

Husky making a strato (x-torq) 372XP? I thought the 576XP was the strato replacement for the 372XP?

It was but then they came out with the 372 XP xtorq. I could not find that video last night where the chainsaw guy compared the 372 xpw with the 576 xp and the 372 xp xtorq. I think they really refined and simplified the air intake system on the new 372.

And I forgot to add my friend with the 576 xp, he ordered it from Baileys and it was almost $200 cheaper than local retail.

I currenlty run a Jonsered 2150 and have decided its time for an upgrade. I ran an 066 last year when my Jonsered was in the shop getting a new block and my time to cut a trailer load of rounds was litterally cut in half.[/quote]

Seems to me like you answered your own question.

That 441 has an advantage over the 460 fuel milage. At the end of a long day the 441 wins. If your running into all kinds of different wood for 20-50 inch 460.

Reactions: ScotO
I ran my BIL's 441 with 25" bar over the weekend. Now that it's over, I wish I had never picked that saw up...because now I wish I had one.

Reactions: smokinj
I should hope there's a big difference between a JRed 2150 (50cc) and a MS660 (92cc)!!!

LOL no kidding. There's no replacement for displacement.::-)

Those are some tough choices to make...they're all good. I decided to go the used route as its hard to justify the cost of those big new saws for part time use. I bought an old 056 super off Epray (Ebay). The saw had ignition problems and its so old that only used parts can be found. I took the flywheel off and repaired the coil. I also bought and old 044 with a broken handle. I repaired the handle and rebuilt the carb. Now they both run like champs and the cost for the pair was half the cost of just one new saw. The 056 super has balls to the wall power but slightly more weight and noticible vibration compared to the 044. The 044 is bad to the bone also. So what I'm saying is you might want to consider a used saw if price is an issue. If the price doesn't matter then I'd go with the ............(can't make up mind!)......they're all good.

Reactions: ScotO and smokinj
I have not bought a new saw in years.I used strictly stihls for years and did not like the feel of anything else .I loved my 064.I switched to huskys(employer provided) and it took me a year before I grew to like them.Now the 372 is one of my all time favorite saws . I think the decision between a husky and a stihl is similar to chevy vs ford. It is what ever seat fits you best(or the one your dad drove).

Reactions: Thistle and smokinj
I have absolutely no experience with the 441 or any of the Stihl saws, so I can't comment on it but based on my experience with the 372 and my 570 and the fact that the 576xp is rated at 5.7hp versus the 372xp at 5.3hp, I would say that if you are going to be primarily bucking large rounds, the 576xp would be the better choice. However, I still think the 372xp is probably a better all around saw and would accomplish all the varied tasks that a typical firewood cutter would encounter better than the 576xp.

Reactions: smokinj
I was at a Sthil dealer looking for discontinued Stihl saw parts..... when I asked which saw would be best for firewood, they answered ,"a good- used ...372xp" !!!!;)

I was at a Sthil dealer looking for discontinued Stihl saw parts..... when I asked which saw would be best for firewood, they answered 372xp!!!!;)

lol, I dont think anyone has the right answer and if there a stihl dealership they are piss poor operators!

Reactions: Thistle
Makita Dolmar 6401 till it wears out..... and then put the big bore jug/piston inside.>>
Dollar for power thats about the best there is. All this talk about 440/441/372/576 and so on but a 7900 is cheaper and faster then all those choices. So why isn't that the no brainer?

Dollar for power thats about the best there is. All this talk about 440/441/372/576 and so on but a 7900 is cheaper and faster then all those choices. So why isn't that the no brainer?

I'd like to have one :cool:

Lack of a local dealership? They were on my list until ACE left our state.

I am lucky and have one close to me but I don't buy anything based on dealer network. In this age with internet your favorite dealer could be in another state. Look how many on this site ordered up an Englander stove from out of state. I bought my Solo and there wasn't even a dealer in my state. Now I'm not sure if there is dealer in the country that sells those saws. But after owning one I would have another if I had to order it from Europe. I probably use my saws more than most and have never been inconvenienced by not having a local dealer. Chances are USPS Fedex or UPS is cheaper than me driving to town anyway.

Dolmar's biggest drawback. They don't have the dealer network that their competition does.

Yep. I was also in the market (until about an hour ago for this class of saw) and the closest Dolmar dealer is an hour away, while the Husky dealer is 5 minutes. Sthil is about 10 minutes. I was almost going to go ahead with the Dolmar, but it turns out there are no 7900's available that the "local" dealer could lay his hands on.

So I drove 5 minutes down the road and picked up a brand spankin' new 372xp. $830 w/ a power box carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.