Stihl Chain

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lukem

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2010
Indiana
I need a new chain for my 031AV. It has a 20" Rollomatic bar. I'm trying to find a deal on E-Bay or something, but I don't know the drive what size/model I need. I want a full chisel chain.

Should be stamp into the bar....031 older saw so I am not sure whats on it. 72 drive lengths 3/8 is what a 310 would run. It could also be a .325 set up.

Go to your dealer and have them give you the correct yellow chain..... then save money on ebay in the future

HittinSteel said:
Go to your dealer and have them give you the correct yellow chain..... then save money on ebay in the future

+1

72 3/8 on there now.

You want Stihl RSC for full chisel or RMC is semi chisel

You need to figure out the gauge of your chain ( 50, 58 or 63) and then you can order.

Only the metric gauge measurement remains on the bar (1,3mm) which is a .050".

I saw some Forester chains on Ebay. Are they any good?

Sounds like you need

3/8" .050 72DL

I have no idea about forester chains

To me any chain is good if its sharp. With that said the stihl chain will hold the edge longer, So it comes down to how good you are at sharpening.
And for those who use the rs, or rsc this is square ground so if you want it to perform like it should you need to square file it.

Thanks all. I found what I needed on E-Bay for $15.

Smokin'

Never hear of square filing a chainsaw chain. I'll have to pay a little closer attention to the factory angles when I get it. Do you have to use a different type of file?

lukem said:
Thanks all. I found what I needed on E-Bay for $15.

Smokin'

Never hear of square filing a chainsaw chain. I'll have to pay a little closer attention to the factory angles when I get it. Do you have to use a different type of file?

For the stihl rs and rsc chain is a square cutter. What you have will be round. Just something to think about before buying the high price stihl chain. MY BAD ROUND GROUND!

HittinSteel said:
Jay, I can't sharpen RSC with a round file?

You can do anything you want! lol But its a square chisel can, sure you can round file it but now you have a round ground square chisel chain. Now you have lost the real reason its so good to start with.

My Bad its round ground!!!!!!!

Learn something new everyday. I'm almost out of round files, so maybe I better get some square!

HittinSteel said:
Learn something new everyday. I'm almost out of round files, so maybe I better get some square!

Here is a good lenk if you dont have a lot of and want it to be very Awesome chain its worth the effort. I run more production and milling big chains so I round all mine. (rs, rsc doesnt make sense for me) Unless we have a race...lol

The lenk doesnt seem to be working if anyone once it PM me and I will try to send it that way?

http://www.madsens1.com/bnc filing cb.htm

Jay, you are the Stihl expert but the RSC I buy is round ground. Maybe the confusion is some Stihl people call full chisel square ground and semi chisel round ground. I know they did at the store I bought mine at.

Square filing is HARD to get right and most people I know who have tried have gone back to using a round file.

oldspark said:
Square filing is a little harder to learn correct?
It is and the files are more money as well, But if your really good at round fileing it comes pretty quick.

wendell said:
Jay, you are the Stihl expert but the RSC I buy is round ground. Maybe the confusion is some Stihl people call full chisel square ground and semi chisel round ground. I know they did at the store I bought mine at.

Square filing is HARD to get right and most people I know who have tried have gone back to using a round file.

Yes they do its more effort to get the hang of it and if your running big bars it dont make much sense to me. Rs is best square ground.

I may just stick with my round files because the chains throw big chips after sharpening...... no milling for me yet.

Here is a rsc cutter you can tell its is square ground stock out of the box.(NOT MY BAD!) This is off stihl web site!

Second one is round ground by me.

My bad it is round ground thought it was square here is a square ground rslk 3rd pic square ground

Attachments

• chain_RSC.gif
    chain_RSC.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 181
  • cutter resize.jpg
    cutter resize.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 211
  • chain_RSLK.gif
    chain_RSLK.gif
    5.2 KB · Views: 192
Thanks for the clarification. I looked in the catalog last night and saw the "L" is the square ground

Status
Not open for further replies.