stihl gas mixture

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
for those of u all that have stihl saws....do u buy the gas mix designed for stihl only?..or will the stuff at lowes work as well?..when i say the stuff at lowes..if u read on the back says it works for 35/1 40/ 50/1..

Yes it will work!

Most will recommend using a quality mix oil like Husky, Stihl, Dolmar etc rather than the discount names. I don't have a Stihl saw but I do use their Ultra (synthetic) oil at 50:1.

50:1. No matter what I use.. Mix my own. dont rust "The Man".. That stuff could be 120:1.... Joking... Not that I dont trust them, everyone has there own thing. I like to use certain gases and oils. If mixing, will you use an additive to help with the ethanol? Or do you have an Ethanol free Service station close by?

So long as you use a quality 2-stroke oil mixed to the oil manufacturer's recomended ratio you should be fine. Just don't use oil designed for "marine" use. It should specify use in air-cooled engines on the label. Some oils are all-purpose, I tend to subscribe to the 'jack of all trades, master of none' theory but to each his own.

FWIW, IMHO, Stihl's HP ultra oil is excellent for small engine use and isn't priced to break the bank either.

MasterMech said:
So long as you use a quality 2-stroke oil mixed to the oil manufacturer's recomended ratio you should be fine. Just don't use oil designed for "marine" use. It should specify use in air-cooled engines on the label. Some oils are all-purpose, I tend to subscribe to the 'jack of all trades, master of none' theory but to each his own.

FWIW, IMHO, Stihl's HP ultra oil is excellent for small engine use and isn't priced to break the bank either.

+1 Pretty much my thoughts on the subject.

I have some Stihl 4-mix engines (FS130, KM90R) that are known to have issues with other formulas of Stihl 2-cycle mix, so I use Stihl Ultra for everything. The exception to this rule is that I'll get the occasional free six pack of Stihl or Husqvarna 2-cycle oil, but that goes into everything but the 4-mix engines.

steeltowninwv said:
for those of u all that have stihl saws....do u buy the gas mix designed for stihl only?..or will the stuff at lowes work as well?..when i say the stuff at lowes..if u read on the back says it works for 35/1 40/ 50/1..

Any of it will work

I'd use any good quality synthetic or synthetic blend formulated for modern air-cooled 2 stroke engines.

I'm currently on the last of my Mobil M2T that was discontinued and it's great oil. I may move to Amsoil or another similar synthetic when I run out.

727sunset said:
Most will recommend using a quality mix oil like Husky, Stihl, Dolmar etc rather than the discount names. I don't have a Stihl saw but I do use their Ultra (synthetic) oil at 50:1.

You don't really believe that chainsaw mfgs go to the expense of producing and distributing their own oil, do you?

Want to bet that the main distinguishing factor between the 50:1 air-cooled chainsaw oils is the dye they use?

I used Stihl Ultra, works well for me, especially with the ethanol mixed gas we have here in CT.

Adios Pantalones said:
I only buy Stihl because it's pre-measured for their ratio. I don't go through nearly enough to think about the cost vs. store brand.

I remember the days when a 6 pack would last the season. Now it flys of the shelve on a good week.

I'm switching to Poulan Pro Synthetic when my case of woodland pro runs out.

CTYank said:
727sunset said:

You don't really believe that chainsaw mfgs go to the expense of producing and distributing their own oil, do you?

Want to bet that the main distinguishing factor between the 50:1 air-cooled chainsaw oils is the dye they use?

You've let the oil cat out of the bag so to speak.....Stihl is the worst offender, but the other big names are just as bad.

HittinSteel said:
I'm switching to Poulan Pro Synthetic when my case of woodland pro runs out.

You may be joking but I use and recommend the poulan pro synthetic from walmart. I buy it by the quart (pint?) with the little bulb on top that you squeeze to fill for 40:1 mix. It makes no or minimal smoke and smells nice. Very dark blue color to the mixed gas and is supposed to contain stabilizers for shelf life and additives for ethanol though I don't worry about things like that.

I've been through lots of it with no issues at all during storage or use over the years.

I am not joking........ it is the same quality as the more expensive "good brands". Imagine it is identical to Husqvarna XP

HittinSteel said:
I am not joking........ it is the same quality as the more expensive "good brands". Imagine it is identical to Husqvarna XP

Agree.....If my 880 hasn't blown on a 14ft x 32inch wide log chances are a 15-30 second cross cut boost YOU will make it! :cheese:

Status
Not open for further replies.