Stihl MS 290 or Husky 455 e series Rancher?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 9, 2010
Virginia
I hope I don't start a pissn' contest over this. I'm looking for opinions from those that have owned both brands. I've picked two that seems comparable in power and price. I've read many reviews of Stihl saw in general that complained of starting/flooding problems.
Please try to be specific why I should choose one over another.

I think you may be limited in finding somebody who has owned both as they are now sold. Since a mid-range saw will last a number of years there are likely to be changes even if you were to find somebody who has owned both a 029 or the old Husky 55.

I'd choose the one that had a good dealer close by just incase you need service someday.

Matt and runs a 290.

chris-mcpherson said:
I hope I don't start a pissn' contest over this. I'm looking for opinions from those that have owned both brands. I've picked two that seems comparable in power and price. I've read many reviews of Stihl saw in general that complained of starting/flooding problems.
Please try to be specific why I should choose one over another.

I have a stihl 310 and 390 and once you get use to starting them your off and cutting, the shop that sells stihl also sells husky. I have never used a husky but hear that they are great saws.

zap

Well..... I own Stilh tools, just not a chainsaw. I DO own a newer 455 Rancher, that aside from the weight I really like. I just hooked up with a 346XP Husky that after today, I love! I cut with two buddies that own Stihl 290's, both of them. They love their saws. They had them tuned for our elevation, and apparantly start and run flawlessly. I've not seen them have problems , and if they had, I'd surely let them know about it! :cheese: My 455 has started easy, run well, and caused me zero grief- except for the weight, it gets heavy after a few hours. Hence my new (to me) 346XP. I say pick 'em up, wield 'em around, and bend over for 10 minutes while holding them 2' off the floor. The one that hurts your back less is the one to buy. ;-P

I have an stihl 029 super (which I found at a pawn shop) After replacing the rotting fuel line it has been a great saw. Starts easy and runs well, though it is a heavy saw.

I also owned (purchased new around 2000) a Rancher 55. Never liked the saw, always hard to start when cold. And would often take three or four pulls to restart when it was warmed up. I did not use it for the last five years but I don't remember it being quite as heavy. After letting it rust on a shelf I just decided to see if it would start but it would not turn over until I soaked it with oil overnight. Sold it for $50 as a parts saw on CL -- glad to be rid of the saw.

Thanks guys.
I know I asked an impossible question on par with "tastes great or less filling?" but your replies have helped. I'm my way out to check 'em both out soon. I'll report back on which one I choose.

I bought a 290 about 6 months ago. Dealer showed me how to start it while I was there, and it's always started easy for me. It amazes me how easy it starts after it's been running. Not even half a pull and it fires right back up. It is a little heavy, but I really don't mind the weight. I have about ten tanks of gas through mine, so I need to bring it back in for a free retune soon. I have no regrets on buying this saw, I do about 6-8 cords/year and it's perfect for me. Good luck!

I have only ran the husky pro saw and there up to par with the stihl pro saws.

Well...I just went to look at both. I looked at the Husky at Lowes. I would buy it from an authorized dealer if I got that one though. It would be quite a distance to him. I also looked at the Stihl at my close by dealer. My biggest impressions were that the Stihl seemed a little chunkier and rugged while the husky a little more streamlined but has a lot of plastic.
It didn't help that the Husky was sitting next to the Poulan pro and they both had a similar plastic feel.
I'll be going back to the Stihl dealer later this afternoon with cash in hand and see what kind of deal I can make.
Thanks again for the advice. I know I was asking an impossible question. I wasn't expecting anyone to make my decision for me...it just helps to jaw bone a little before I drop a wad of cash.

What is the asking price on a 290?

Seems to me that there was fathers day promo going on.

mikefrommaine said:
What is the asking price on a 290?

Seems to me that there was fathers day promo going on.

list price in my town 16inch bar is 359.00

My guy has it for $369 for the 20".
He's suggesting leaving the chain that it comes with on it rather than switching it for a full chisel chain. His reason was ease of sharpening. The full chisel needs to be brought to a fine point where the factory/safety chain is more forgiving. Do you agree?

chris-mcpherson said:
My guy has it for $369 for the 20".
He's suggesting leaving the chain that it comes with on it rather than switching it for a full chisel chain. His reason was ease of sharpening. The full chisel needs to be brought to a fine point where the factory/safety chain is more forgiving. Do you agree?

Yes 100 percent, give it a while and when you get good at it then is the time to upgrade. Maintenance on a saw will take time to learn.

@ $359, the 290 is a better deal than the 455 (~$400) IMO. I like my 455 just fine so far, but think there are better options when buying new. Consider 18" bar for hardwood.

midwestcoast said:
@ $359, the 290 is a better deal than the 455 (~$400) IMO. I like my 455 just fine so far, but think there are better options when buying new. Consider 18" bar for hardwood.

make it 16inch.

Seriously...? I've been using 20" on my homeowner saw and would consider that minimum. I really don't feel like cutting from both sides.
Can you give some benefits of a shorter blade?

chris-mcpherson said:
Seriously...? I've been using 20" on my homeowner saw and would consider that minimum. I really don't feel like cutting from both sides.
Can you give some benefits of a shorter blade?

more power with less bar length...If your use to a 20inch on a 55cc saw when you upgrade chains later on you might think about a skip tooth...There is less teeth and will give you more rpm's through out the cut and cutting faster.

Too much bar with too little power & the saw will bog down easily when bar is buried/near buried in the cut. That's hard on the saw & on you. Better to stay with a bar that the saw can run without much trouble.

chris-mcpherson said:
Okay...I'll compromise and go with an 18" bar.

You have a 20inch 18 now would be a waste..

Is it too late for me to chime in?????

I have run both I own a 290 and my bil (the one I like) has a 455 that I ran the first time I was at their house clearing some trees for him....The next time I brought my 290 to do what was needed...I think the 290 ran better felt better..They both had 20 in bars and I sharpened both chains myself......

If it where me I would go 290...DON'T let folks talk you out of it because it is not "PRO" they are great saws....Run it till the warranty is up then open the muffler and re tune it you will never look back....... But beware that's how i got started......

Now if you will go used for the same weight and for the price of a new 290 you can find a good used 440...Just a thought....

southbound said:
Is it too late for me to chime in?????

I have run both I own a 290 and my bil (the one I like) has a 455 that I ran the first time I was at their house clearing some trees for him....The next time I brought my 290 to do what was needed...I think the 290 ran better felt better..They both had 20 in bars and I sharpened both chains myself......

If it where me I would go 290...DON'T let folks talk you out of it because it is not "PRO" they are great saws....Run it till the warranty is up then open the muffler and re tune it you will never look back....... But beware that's how i got started......

Now if you will go used for the same weight and for the price of a new 290 you can find a good used 440...Just a thought....

he bought the 290 with 20inch bar new 369.00

Status
Not open for further replies.