stihl ms290

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

marreque

Feb 22, 2010
Fall River, Massachusetts
what are your opinions about me changing my ms290 from a .325 bar, chain and sprocket to a 3/8 setup?
is it worth it, is there advantages or disadvantages??
Thanks

This has been done to death...

At some time when I wear out all my .325 chains I will change mine just so all my saws will be the same...

What size bar are you running?

I run both, .325 on my 260 (16" bar) and 3/8's on my larger saws. The .325 should be a little faster on smaller saws (below 60cc).

Most people switch for convenience, but I don't run the 16" on my larger saws so I don't care about the chains swapping out.

I'd personally stick with the .325. Run Stihl RSC or RMC yellow chain if you are not already.

Hmmm........... My MS290 came with a 3/8" already.

They run either depending on the bar........ probably mostly up to the dealer setting the saw up.

i don't see the point unless you are swapping stuff between saws. I use the RSC in .325 and i can't see a reason to change it up "just because"

In the NW they sell MS290s with 20" bar and 3/8" chain. That's how I bought mine 1.5 years ago and I don't regret it a bit. This is a 57cc saw, not some sort of poulan. I like the bigger teeth for ease of sharpening and a bigger cutting edge. There's just more metal out there and that must be good.

Your saw's ability to run the chain really has more to do with bar length than with gauge.

The standard in my region is .325, .063 on an eight tooth (8t) spur sprocket for the MS290. Running a 20" bar in hardwoods is okay until you bury it and it bogs down a little too much for my taste (running sharp RSC chain).

I always wanted to try 3/8" pitch on my 290, and I'd probably swap out the 8t spur for a new 7t rim (and drum). I'm thinking I might run a 16-18" bar, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.