Still smoky glass after feed setting of 2

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bostonfan49

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2011
Essex Jct. Vermont
So I went from Feed setting of 3 down to 2 and did notice an improvement in the glass from black to a brown arc but still this is after only 5 hours. The suggestion was made to try the the feed setting but another was to change the combustion settings. What new settings should I try? I know the brown arc is something that everyone gets and maybe I am just expecting a cleaner glass to last longer......? Burning Super Premium Vermont softwood pellets....ash content 0.27-0.30. Thanks, Bill

I have found with my stove that the softwood pellets require more air.
When I burned them I would have to set my combustion air trim to 4
or 5. Then back to 2 or 3 for the hardwoods, I still get the smoke arc
across the top on burn settings 2 and 3 but it will take a day for it to get
noticeable.

I'd try what jhass suggests. Bump up the combustion trim to 4 or 5 and see how it goes. If its still dark in color then try reducing the feed trim a notch or 2. Softwoods have a natural resin that add fuel to the fire. Kind of like a car with a oversized(rich) carb, You need to lean the mixture out some.

Once you get some gray colored ash with dark specs your pretty good.

Was your stove setup with a magnahelic gauge?

Thanks Jhansi and j-takeman! So I will bump up the combustion to 4 but does this mean I can still keep the feed trim on 2? Also when you say " gray colored ash with dark specs" Where are you talking about...on the glass? No....the stove was not set up with a magnahelic gauge. Thanks, Bill...I appreciate your time explaining this stuff to me.

Might want to think about the gauge to set it up correctly. It will greatly help you and this burn issue. You could barrow one or pick up a used one on ebay if cash is tight. Yes, leave the feed trim alone for now. Only adjust one thing at a time. Let it burn for a bit before next change. You could go right buy the sweet spot.

Keep in mind some softies will only go to a light chocolate color. You might not ever see them turn gray. Just try to reduce the black(sooty) color as best you can. Another thing is the window will gather ash no matter how hard you try. The airwash only covers a section of the glass and not the whole thing. I'll bet if you ask the other m55 cast owners to post pictures of the glass after a similar time frame they will have a similar stain on their glass as well. FYI only.

J-takeman, So... I will put the feed trim back to the default setting of 3 but will up the combustion to 4. I think that is what you are saying. Bill

bostonfan49 said:
J-takeman, So... I will put the feed trim back to the default setting of 3 but will up the combustion to 4. I think that is what you are saying. Bill

No, Leave it where its at. Raise the combustion trim now. Go to level 4 and run a bit. Next step is raise the blower trim to level 5. If that does't work then drop the feed trim to 2. I highly doubt you'll need to go any farther than this. If you do its most likely the damper setting is not right. Then I would definetly recommend you get a gauge to set this up right!

I-takeman......last post for the day. My feed trim is already at 2, because that was the first suggestion you folks gave me!! I understand raising the combustion setting to 4. I was confused because in your last post you mentioned dropping the feed setting to 2 as a third step.....Also confused about "raising" the blower setting??? I don't have a blower setting? I have feed trim, combustion trim and heat level. Hope I am not bothering you.. Bill

I have to clean mine today I will take a picture of the door and show what
I have after a week of burning on Hi/Lo.

Here is what mine looks like after 1 week of burning on Hi/Lo I am burning AWF
right now. My setting are Heat setting 3 with the feed offset 2 and combustion
offset 4. Now when I switch to Hardwood Heat at the same heat setting I will adjust
the combustion back down to 2 as they seem to burn much better. I am not saying
that what I am showing you or telling you is correct or what is supposed to happen
it is just what works for me. Some other people my not get as much hazing on their
glass, this is about the best I can get it with my set up, which is 45 to a tee with clean
out then 9' up thru roof. Hope it helps you.

Jay

Attachments

• 2011-11-18_08-30-24_951.jpg
    2011-11-18_08-30-24_951.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 259
  • 2011-2.jpg
    2011-2.jpg
    4.6 KB · Views: 283
  • 2011-3.jpg
    2011-3.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 263
Status