stoked

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

steeltowninwv

Minister of Fire
Nov 16, 2010
west virginia
ok..im stoked not that im cutting wood..i do my fair share of that..but for a while now i have been cutting nothing but sycamore.....finally cut something different....did this today after work...still lots more to do here...all ash..white oak..and maple......there is some cherry and locust to cut here as well..

felt really good to use the maul without beating my brains out
2012-03-12175354.gif

I know what you mean by getting tired of the same wood. I usually get that with Cherry around here. One year that was almost all I cut. I usually always have a fair amount of it in my stacks. I like Cherry fine but I just like a mix it seems to make it more interesting to me to see how this load will burn compared to the next burn of something else. When its there though you take it feel blessed you have it.
How did that leg heal up ?

leg is doing good..healed up just fine..thanks for asking

Sugar Maple? Looks like it from what I can see...

A little soft maple...but more sugar maple than soft...its probably about 80% ash

I know what you mean about beating your brains out...i have a ton of elm that i need to split and the stuff is just awful! Got some locust this weekend and besides the tree being huge it split very easy

Haha. I'm in the same predicament. A few weekends ago I got about 1 cord of Siberian Elm from a neighbor. Most of that still needs to be split...wears me out. Last weekend I got over a cord of Red Elm, post-tree removal across town. This stuff is a dream. By far the easiest variety of Elm to split that I've ever tackled. (I've not much left to split of the Red Elm...putting off the other...sigh.)
Straight soft Maple was fun too. As I had a little bit of that also.

Have fun.

Cheers.

Always nice to get some ash for easier splittin'. Sometimes a variety of species gets put into the same stack just to see the interesting patterns the different colored woods make. Lasts about a year- until they all turn grey.

Hey Steel, I'll bet that was nice splitting something besides all that sycamore. Hope you have more of it.

oh yeah backwwods...did a little more today after work...i have enuf to keepme busy the rest of the week after work...then the guy tells me he has some more to lay down if im interested....added a little cherry, more maple, more ash, and a little elm today...good news is the elm is small so no splitting necessary

2012-03-13171605.jpg

And that makes it some of the very best elm too. :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.