Storage Plumbing question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stokes79

Jul 2, 2008
Ketchikan AK
I am getting ready to plumb in my wood boiler and my storage, have a few questions and no way to draw what I am talking about so I will try to explain the best I can

I am piping from my wood boiler Supply and Return to 2 Tees on top of a 1000 gallon propane tank, the return will have a piece of steel pipe welded to a weld it that will be the height of the propane tank minus four or five inches so that the return water leaves near the bottom of the storage tank and the supply side will be plumbed right into a weld it with maybe a couple inch steel nipple on it so that it charges the top of the tank, Both supply and return lines will enter the tank at opposite ends so they will be 13 feet apart plus the depth of the tank

So I am going to my boiler from the leg of the Tee, out of the opposite end of the Tee from storage I will go to my heat loads which have circ pumps

Basically if the wood boiler is on the pump on the boiler will circulate through storage unless there is a heat call then the the load pump should suck the hot water through the other leg of the Tee passing storage and as soon as the heat call is satisfied the the load pump would stop then the path of least resistance would be through storage

In between the wood boiler and the storage I have a danfoss temp valve for boiler protection and a 62 gallon expansion tank for the storage was looking at putting check valves in these lines also so that when heating from storage/ wood boiler is off no circ pump running I don't get weird flows, it would pull from storage only, not through wood boiler

This makes sense to me, seems very simple I just don't want to have to re plumb this, if there is anything else I will need any advise is appreciated I will have pop offs on the propane tank, there are two on the boiler also

Also what is the best way to get a reliable temp sensor for the bottom of the propane tank, what do you use for a "deep" well so I could effectively read the bottom of the tank temp and the top of the tank temp?

Although my boiler is only piped 1" I am bumping up to 1 1/4 right off the factory plumbing to get my flow rate down and that is what my load or primary loop is on my house

I can't visualize what you're posting, but check this schematic from BioheatUSA for ideas. The full .pdf is located on their website.

Microsoft Visio is a great drawing program with a free 60 day trial.

Attachments

• Tarm Plumbing Diagrams_Page_06-1.jpg
    Tarm Plumbing Diagrams_Page_06-1.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 417
Status
Not open for further replies.