Storage tank idea

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NHFarmer

Feeling the Heat
Feb 17, 2008
southeastern NH
Here is my plan for my storage tank,I can buy a galvanized stock tank for $200.It measures 2ft.x3ft.x8ft. 300 gallon cap.easy to fit in my cellar.I am planning to buy three of these tanks and stack them on top of each other.insulation will be fiberglass with ridgid foam top and bottom.For heat exchangers I am planning to use 3/4 type m copper and build a hx similar to Erics.the plan is to have a separate hx for each tank.1 inch header to connect all three.use counterflow to add or remove heat as needed.I still need to figure out statification problems in the hx design.Seems to me like the simplest and most cost effective way to do it.What do you think?

concrete blocks and 4x4s to hold top tanks.epdm rubber wrapped around the tops of the tanks???

300 gallons is 2500 pounds. Seems like it would be OK as long as the 4x4s are supported as close to the tank as possible.

Make sure your copper doesn't touch the galvanized steel.

In addition to EPDM, I threw in a few bars of paraffin wax to make a film on top of the water to keep evaporation down.

Your plumbing will either have to go through the tank walls or over the top edge. Tank walls present a corrosion risk, and over the edge makes it hard to get the EPDM to seal. I went through the tank walls with welded-in stainless nipples, though my tank is stainless. Brazed-in brass might work, too.

nofossil said:

In addition to EPDM, I threw in a few bars of paraffin wax to make a film on top of the water to keep evaporation down.

I used paraffin also but now I'm wondering if that will be bad for the epdm. It don't like petro. products????
Any thoughts.
leaddog

I had not thought about the corrosion problem but it makes sense.The wax is a great idea,with the steel I won't have to worry about the EPDM reacting.From a cost standpoint I was planning to go over the side with the pipes,still haven't figured out how to seal the tank.Rubbermaid does make a 300 gal. tank rated over 200* foam plastic but the dimensions don't work as well for me

Rubbermaid does make a 300 gal. tank rated over 200* foam plastic
Where can I find the info on this tank NH ?

Any farm supply outlet,feed store.I got a price from my local Blue seal feed.I use these tubs to water my cows and I know they are tuff and will stand up to the heat.the only problem is they are only 2 feet high and rather large but they do hold 300 gal.

Thanks for the lead. Will stop by my local Blue Seal store to check out.

Status
Not open for further replies.