Storm chasing & Sailing, Stan Honey on the Comanche

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
I'd think that without a compass, you'd be in a bit of confusion given the lack of landmarks, stars, and possibly even the sun considering the storm conditions.

That tells me they were looking at GPS, or even old school loran, lol. They were getting directions from somewhere.
I remember using LORAN on the midnight to 04:00 watch on an oil production support ship on the Atlantic in the 70s.
i can't tell from the Wikipedia entry on it whether the base stations have been decommissioned or not. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the system would be maintained as a backup for GNSS.
Anyone know its fate?

I remember using LORAN on the midnight to 04:00 watch on an oil production support ship on the Atlantic in the 70s.
i can't tell from the Wikipedia entry on it whether the base stations have been decommissioned or not. I vaguely recall reading somewhere that the system would be maintained as a backup for GNSS.
Anyone know its fate?
Decommissioned about 2010 in the US and Canada.

Not the Comanche, but a friend and co-worker before I retired is about to embark on an epic one year journey as part of the Clipper 70 crew in the 2019 Clipper Around the World Race.
https://www.clipperroundtheworld.com/race/fleet

65601736_10157479140451165_7592027137234698240_o.jpg

I am envious. How old are they?

Seeing folks chase dreams like this makes me wonder whether I'll still be able by the time I allow myself time for such excursions. You only live once.

"Seeing folks chase dreams like this makes me wonder whether I'll still be able by the time I allow myself time for such excursions. You only live once".

like millions before you who have asked themselves the same???? don't do it and well suffer, you choose the ?

I am envious. How old are they?

Seeing folks chase dreams like this makes me wonder whether I'll still be able by the time I allow myself time for such excursions. You only live once.
I'm not sure, but would guess he is in his 40s. (friend and prior co-worker are the same person)

I'm not sure, but would guess he is in his 40s. (friend and prior co-worker are the same person)
Damn. Now I hate him, a little.

I'm starting to contemplate the idea of retirement at age 50, but with the likelihood of college tuition for two in our future, I'm pretty well convinced my wife won't be enamored with the concept.

The good news is that my younger child is turning into a serious sailing speed junkie. Whereas I can't take older one out if it's blowing over 10 knots, the younger one is bored in anything less! The force is strong, in this one...

Last edited:
Strong wind, 20 something foot boat, 6-8' foot swell... now that's some fun!

Now without wind, we once lost a race to a boat that dropped anchor.

Reactions: Ashful
Now without wind, we once lost a race to a boat that dropped anchor.

One local club races on the Delaware river, in an area with unreliable wind. We often joke that the guy who drops anchor first will be the winner of the day’s racing, as the others drift downriver, off the race course.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
Damn. Now I hate him, a little.

I'm starting to contemplate the idea of retirement at age 50, but with the likelihood of college tuition for two in our future, I'm pretty well convinced my wife won't be enamored with the concept.
The race lasts a year I think. That's a serious commitment and not without risks.

Speaking of storms, check out the electrical storm @ 11:00 in this video.

Crew members Stuart and Joy Dahlgren, when not racing somewhere in the world, usually campaign their SC70 Westerly up and down the west coast. Not a bad gig for a young couple!
SC70+Westerly+&+GoldenGate+2018crp.jpg
...and this weekend they'll be at our club racing their Moore 24 in the Vendee Saltspring.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ashful