Storm Damage may effect pellet supply in New England. Might also effect price?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jtakeman

Minister of Fire
Dec 30, 2008
Northwestern CT.
www.facebook.com
With the recent TS Irene hitting New England there has been troubles with rail traffic to New England. NECR has a couple of bridges out in VT. which has basically stopped flow of certain brands from getting to the local warehouses. Looks like the BC softwoods could be in short supply.

Effected brands could be Spruce Pointes, Okanagans, and others. This could also effect other pellet brands being railed to the New England area(just not sure what other brands might be effected???).

A little birdy told me! "Straight scoop from a pellet insider"

If anyone has further info???? please share.

So the supply for those pellets should be greater in areas with rail???? :)

Now if all those could just come to Ohio......... Wake up Dex... Wake up... Its all just a dream.

I work for the Railroad and its nothing but a logistic thing, I would not worry to much about it.

Prices are going up on pellets anways.

News will be when that "little birdie" says prices are going anywhere but up. I bet it was the same birdie that said HD and Lowes were just getting rid of overstock pellets at $187. Last Spring.

Maybe some of those pellets could stop a bit South. I am having a tough time finding higher quality pellets around here.

BrotherBart said:
News will be when that "little birdie" says prices are going anywhere but up. I bet it was the same birdie that said HD and Lowes were just getting rid of overstock pellets at $187. Last Spring.

News came from a small pellet dealer. But wants to remain unnamed(I'll oblige as I get good tips from them). They asked me what another good softwood would be in case there is a delivery issue!

Mr. Warm corrected me on the Platinum Fires. They take a different route. So supply should be OK on the PF's.

Fish On said:
I work for the Railroad and its nothing but a logistic thing, I would not worry to much about it.

Prices are going up on pellets anways.

Thats good to know! Would a reroute effect the shipping price??

Please don't tell me the pellet suppliers are taking notes from the oil companies.....

Totally off topic! But some other supply/demand concerns!

Just learned no Somersets in CT until December. I didn't get all the details, But assuming fiber issue's. Also heard Bearfoots have had some delivery issues for some time now(not because of Irene) But because of their fiber supply. Turmans are also hurting in the fiber department.

Glad there are some log to chip mills going!

I lugged those bags of Stove Chow from last spring into the basement today and fired the 25-PDVC to see if it still works. Looking good and three ton are more than I need this year. Seemed weird moving the Jotul F3 out of its home and moving the pellet puppy into its space.

Lost 1/5 of a bag to moisture when a limb busted a hole in the pole barn roof during the Irene monsoon.

BrotherBart said:
I lugged those bags of Stove Chow from last spring into the basement today and fired the 25-PDVC to see if it still works. Looking good and three ton are more than I need this year. Seemed weird moving the Jotul F3 out of its home and moving the pellet puppy into its space.

Lost 1/5 of a bag to moisture when a limb busted a hole in the pole barn roof during the Irene monsoon.

BB's a pellet pig? :) Pellets will spoil ya for sure!

I am set too BB. I have 4.5 tons and only need 3.5 for the season. If the box stores keep the war going I'll replace what I have as I burn them off(a ton at a time) Whats going to scare me is when I start burning the cold season stuff. Looking like by the time I need to replace them there isn't going to much out there or the price will be way scary! Nervous before the time actually comes to replace them!

Hey least you only lost a wee bit. I have friends that had total loss's due to basement floods.

You guys giving me the heads up last spring on the Stove Chow was great. I was just going to buy a ton because I don't go down there much since I moved my office upstairs. Then after I got home with the first ton I went nuts and went back for two more. The 30-NC and hardwood will do the heavy lifting like always but it will be nice to be able to just crank up the pellet puppy for when I am down there and shut'er down when I am through. I will test getting a little heat up from down there but I know better. There have been various stoves down there for 27 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.