Storm damage wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WellSeasoned

uploadfromtaptalk1347751438943.jpgI went to the next town up who unfortunately had terrible storms last weekend. I paused for a moment when the thought popped into my head, should I try and see if the folks up there would like to give me their wood, or is this selfish due to their misfortune. I thought a moment more, and decided that it may be more helpful than selfish. It was... A tree service charges for felling, and REMOVAL of the tree, which this couple didn't have it removed, and were happy to see it go. So I was happy to help them and aquire the wood. It is pear and a maple species. Be well

I hear ya on the ill feeling of someone else misfortune. I have done the same thing, found folks through networking and been able to score a few cords here and there after a storm. good for you!

I have gone and helped clean up and even cut and stacked wood for people who wanted to keep it. As long as you focus on helping out first then the free wood is just a bonus. Keeps you warm either way...I think you did very well...

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Nice score. You did good.
Most of it looks like it will split easy & into some nice sized splits.

I may try and shoot back up there today. I was ably to split most of it. Does anybody know how the pear burns? Obviously not burning this year...

Havent seen or burned very much of it,but Pear is excellent.Very similar to Apple.Not near as many Pear trees planted in people's yards compared to Apple seems to be.Dont forget some on the smoker,covered grill or open pit either.

Reactions: ScotO
if its bradford pear i think that is very light wood and my guess is it wont burn anywhere near apple which is a very dense wood (right?).

I may try and shoot back up there today. I was ably to split most of it. Does anybody know how the pear burns? Obviously not burning this year...

Generally speaking, trees that give fruit burn very well; they are hard wood. Enjoy.

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
Status
Not open for further replies.