Stovax flue thermometer ( what height to place )

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonybhoy1888

Jan 15, 2012
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi everyone, i have my stove thermometer placed just above the ring that the flue pipe enters the stove. I cant place it higher due to the chimney opening. I just wanted to know how accurate a reading will i be getting because i know it should be place a lot higher. I really dont want to overheat my stove and i feel this reading is too high compared to a reading further up. Please help. Thanx

If the directions do not say, generally these type thermometers are meant to be placed 12 to 18 inches (30cm-45cm) above the stove top on the single wall pipe. I have mine on the upper end of that measurement.

pen

I put mine up the stove pipe about 3 1/2 to 4 ft above the stove cause if I put it 18 inches above the stove it makes me nervous on start up and reloads. :lol:

Thanx guys, i reckon because mine has to be placed so low the reading has to be a lot higher than it should be. I start to get a bit worried when it gets into the too hot area of the dial but this must be happening too early because of the height. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.