Stove Balance

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
As in heat matching the room and the house.

I just completed the wall to divide off my basement from the garage part of my basement. Last year I heated with this stove in the basement but the basement was all open. The back part was my partially completed family room. The room size now is 24' x 27' .

What I have noticed now is the 24' x 27' room gets a little warm, I guess that was to be expected.

Even the coals in the stove the day after an over night burn keeps that basement room warm.

I think I will skip insulating that new wall and might even put in a wall vent to vent some heat into the garage part of my basement.

Hopefully that will balance some of my heat.

Is there a door from the basement family room to the first floor of the house? If so, have you tried using a fan to blow cooler air down the stairs toward the basement?

I should try that.

Take a simple 12" table fan, put it on the floor at the top of the stairs and point it downstairs. Turn it on low speed and I think you will find a notable difference. If you temporarily tape some toilet paper at the top of the doorway you should see a strong stream of warm air blowing into the house and you should note a reduction in temp in the family room.

Good advice with the fan. It works!

Status
Not open for further replies.