stove black burn off smell?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rebn

Dec 16, 2010
Atlanta, Ga.
I was able to get my hands on a used Jotul F-3. I hired a company to install a ventiox liner in my masonry chimney and connect the unit. (I have a double-sided coal burning fireplace) I installed a smoke cover outlet on the top as the previous owner was venting up and I'm venting out the back into the chimney. So aside from the liner and elbow, the only "new" piece is the smoke cover outlet. I expected some smells from the new pieces as I burn hotter each time. I've been burning for about a month now and when the temp. peaks at 550 or 600 on my Rutland contact thermometer I can smell a "burn-off" type odor. (I usually don't burn this hot for more than a few minutes) Is it unusual that it's still happening? I also notice that I get stomach cramps when this happens. No headaches, trouble breathing, nausea, etc. so I don't think it's carbon monoxide. (I have a detector nearby) Anyone else have any idea??

thanks,

-Ari

Attachments

• stove.jpg
    stove.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 209
I got very little fumes from my paint, and only durring curring. I had no fumes the second day. Did you follow the manufactures instructions for curring the paint?

My new stove and pipe smelled for the whole first year, with the odor gradually becoming less each time. This was mainly because I was still figuring out how to use the stove and was scared to burn too hot. Even early in the the second year though, I could smell it.

I would say it's normal. Give it a bit longer.

rebn said:
I didn't paint any parts; it's just the factory stove black coating.

Right, but that paint still has to be cured. All they do at the factory is spray it, but high temp paints require heat/cool cycles to cure properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.