Stove Chow or

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
milling material. If this Cherry is like the last Cherry leaner I took down it won't be good enough for milling so it will become firewood. The top of this Cherry is hung up in the birch tree which looks like it won't be that bad to take care of.

Looks like this weekend for this tree depending on the weather.

zap

Attachments

• 100_4164.jpg
    100_4164.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 407
  • 100_4165.jpg
    100_4165.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 416
Can't lose either way and looks like a nice weekend to do it.

SolarAndWood said:
Can't lose either way and looks like a nice weekend to do it.

I hope it's a good weekend, I have four Cherry about 75 yards east of this tree that are coming down.

zap

Looks good for you, we are looking at white stuff tomorrow. Time to get some wood under a roof.

Hows cherry rate as firewood? Not just btu's but drying time, rot resistance, splitting, cutting etc..?

weatherguy said:
Hows cherry rate as firewood? Not just btu's but drying time, rot resistance, splitting, cutting etc..?

They say cherry will season quicker but I still like a year stacked, splitting and cutting are very easy. Most of my wood I cut is already down and cherry seems like it can be down on the ground longer then most before rotting.

We burn just over three cord of cherry a year since we have been heating with wood (3 years) and we love it.

zap

zapny said:
weatherguy said:

They say cherry will season quicker but I still like a year stacked, splitting and cutting are very easy. Most of my wood I cut is already down and cherry seems like it can be down on the ground longer then most before rotting.

We burn just over three cord of cherry a year since we have been heating with wood (3 years) and we love it.

zap

Thanks for the info, I have a bead on some cherry I may pick up.

Black cherry pros:
Very easy on chainsaw
Smells great outdoors on burning
Air-dries pretty readily
Splits easily in the straight sections of log

Black cherry cons:
So-so energy density
Sapwood rots pretty readily
In stacks, harbors borers near bark, generating dust
Leaves significant amount of char after fire
SOB to split crooked parts of log

STOVE IT!

weatherguy said:

I took some 9 year old cherry to Woodstock. You can ask others but there was not one sign of any rot or punk. In fact, Tony (fire_man) did the splitting and he can attest to how hard that wood was.

Splits easy, cuts easy decent btu's.

CTYank said:
Black cherry pros:

Black cherry cons:
So-so energy density
Sapwood rots pretty readily
In stacks, harbors borers near bark, generating dust
Leaves significant amount of char after fire
SOB to split crooked parts of log

Your cherry is much different from our cherry.

weatherguy said:
I have a bead on some cherry I may pick up.
It's medium-heat wood, but very nice to split and burn. I found a blown-down Cherry that I split medium-small and stacked at the beginning of June. The bottom was about 28% MC, drier toward the top. I just lit a load a couple of hours ago. I could hear a faint hiss and saw a couple of small damp spots on the ends of the splits after they caught, but it's burning just fine. There's also a delightful aroma downwind from the stack. I would snap up the Cherry, for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.