Stove Chow

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkH

Oct 8, 2009
West Granby, CT
The Lowes in Bloomfield, CT. has it still in stock for $187 a ton get a 10% off Lowes coupon and it gets it down to $168.50. I picked up 2 ton, they said they had at least a dozen more. Say what you will about stove chow, but my P68 likes it better than the bad batch of barefoots I was using.

HD in Phohatcong NJ (near Phillpsberg) has the same deal. I bought a few bags a couple of days ago and a few bags of Presto Logs (Lignetics), The Stove Chow burned real hot in my NPS40 but was very messy, had to clean the pot every 4 hours or so. I experimented with different air settings, but didn't have much luck getting a cleaner burn. The Presto logs are in now, not as hot, but have not had to touch the pot since I loaded the hopper around 10 pm last night.

All and all, good price for either brand...

what a great price..... wish i had some extra cash .was the stove chow the only pellet they had been a while since i stopped there

kayakmom said:
Home Depot in New Hartford, CT also had Stove Chow in Stock this week for $187 + the 10% coupon. Can't complain at $168.30 per ton!

Last I knew they had Fireside Ultra's but its been a while. Lowes in Torrington also has Stove Chow and Maine Choice. What else did they have at the New Hardford HD?

off topic: Where is everyone getting their 10% coupons? LOL I want one!

I was at Home Depot in Bristol CT. tonight and they only had Nation's Choice in stock and it is now back up to $209 a ton or $4.18 per bag. They didn't have too much of it. I also had to stop at Lowe's in Plainville CT. and they only had SIH pellets, saw about 20 tons out back. It was still was $187 a ton or 3.74 a bag. I got 3 bags of the SIH to try.

FordMastertech said:
I also had to stop at Lowe's in Plainville CT. and they only had SIH pellets, saw about 20 tons out back. It was still was $187 a ton or 3.74 a bag. I got 3 bags of the SIH to try.

SIH in CT? WooHoo! The Torrington Lowes was getting a fresh load of pellets in last Monday. I wonder if they are SIH? Naw, I can't get that lucky! But I have to check it out! I thinx I can fit in another 20 bags or so!

Let me know what you think of the SIH?

j-takeman said:
FordMastertech said:
I also had to stop at Lowe's in Plainville CT. and they only had SIH pellets, saw about 20 tons out back. It was still was $187 a ton or 3.74 a bag. I got 3 bags of the SIH to try.

SIH in CT? WooHoo! The Torrington Lowes was getting a fresh load of pellets in last Monday. I wonder if they are SIH? Naw, I can't get that lucky! But I have to check it out! I thinx I can fit in another 20 bags or so!

When on a pallet they have a black plastic outer cover bag and the lower 1/3 is clear shrink wrap.
Probably won't get to try them until the weekend.

FordMastertech said:
j-takeman said:
FordMastertech said:

When on a pallet they have a black plastic outer cover bag and the lower 1/3 is clear shrink wrap.

;-)

MarkH said:
rizzo20 said:

Go to the post office and get the "moving kit" it has a bunch of coupons inside it, including a Lowes 10%
A lot of the movers packets now have the $25 off a $250 purchase at Lowe's.

FordMastertech said:
MarkH said:
rizzo20 said:

Go to the post office and get the "moving kit" it has a bunch of coupons inside it, including a Lowes 10%

Yep, Just buy 68 bags or the ton and something else. We needed a new faucet for the kitchen. Worked out for me and the Mrs.

Attachments

• Stove Chow lowes 1-23-2011a.jpg
    Stove Chow lowes 1-23-2011a.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 513
A lot of the movers packets now have the $25 off a $250 purchase at Lowe’s.

LOL, figures.... I just did a change of address request online two days ago and opted to NOT get the coupons they offered.....

Lowes in Woburn, MA just got a shipment of Green Teams. Two tons sitting in the main entryway. Another 6 tons sitting outside the contractor entrance.

rizzo20 said:
A lot of the movers packets now have the $25 off a $250 purchase at Lowe’s.

LOL, figures.... I just did a change of address request online two days ago and opted to NOT get the coupons they offered.....

Another option is to register with Lowes and HD on line. They might send coupons to you. Not sure what you will get. I just got a $10 of a $50 dollar from lowes. I might get 15 to 25 more bags and use the coupon on them! I only got the one coupon from HD on sign up. Now I just get sale fliers. Lowes sends out a Coupon here and there.

FordMastertech said:
MarkH said:
rizzo20 said:

I usually get 10 packets at a time, they seem to average seven 10% off to three $25 off $250.

MarkH said:
The Lowes in Torrington is out of stove chow, I called them today and had them check.

I'll try to stop there tomorrow to see what they have. I know when I got my ton they had a few chows left(2) and they had Maine Choice. They were supposed to get a Load in Monday afternoon. I really really hope its SIH hardwoods! :) I just have to top off the stash again!

hey jay, i called the plainville lowes and they confirmed they have somersets and SIH.....which one would you choose?

geek said:
hey jay, i called the plainville lowes and they confirmed they have somersets and SIH.....which one would you choose?

My stove would perfer the Somersets, But not by much! SIH is a darned good pellet. I would suggest you try both and see how your toys like them. As they say YMMV!

Heading to Lowes in Torrington tonight to get 15 to 20 bags with a $10 off of $50 coupon. Hope there are some SIH there. I will post what they have in stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.