Stove ID ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What are the runes on the upper left corner of the front plate? Almost looks like an old Lopi, but it could be anything. Any identifying markings on it anywhere? Any clues? Looks like it could eat wood with a vengeance. Rick

Wednesday, I understand the need to be conservative when it comes to making a big purchase like a stove, but I just wondered if you have looked at all the options for getting a new EPA certified wood stove. If you are buying your wood(rather than having a supply of free wood), you'll save money because EPA stoves are more efficient, but also cleaner, and can be safer. If its an expense issue, don't be fooled into only looking at the higher end woodstoves. You can go to a True Value or Ace hardware store and ask them for something from their warehouse, they sell some EPA woodstoves that are less expensive than a high-end stove. You may only have to spend a couple hundred more on a brand new stove, but there really is a huge difference between an old and new woodstove. My shop is based from a True Value store and if you need help locating something, let me know, I can definately help.

Money's tight this year and I was hoping to control some of our heating bill. It gets cold up here in northern NV but not too extreme so we thought to supplement our heating source with a stove (or insert which is not really an option because of our prefabbed fireplace). $2K for a new stove is way above that budget and that still does not include pipes and other isntallation parts. That's why I've been looking at some used units. There seems to be a lot of older models spoken about and used on this site and I just thought this would be an inexpesive way to go if I could find a name brand unit (to find specs on line) with no issues ie cracks, holes etc. (and stove paint sounds easy to apply to make it look showroom new).
I also have some experience with renovation of our last house (1921 craftsman) and thought I could probably tackle the installation my self. This unit just happened to include pipes and I was told by the seller that he remodeled 8 months ago with a central air/heat unit and took out the stove when they re-did the carpet too. He mentioned that they used it the previous season with no issues. The stoves in Reno are starting to get picked up quickly as others locally are starting to "shop" for stoves as we near the colder season. I have to drive about 2 hours over the mountains to Sacramento area to pick this stove up and units move a little slower since it doesn't get nearly as cold on that side of the mountain.
Would you not reccomend this Elmira unit then? There are also other used units I've been looking at what do ya think?
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/841008372.html (this one also has pipes et al) NEVER MIND-NO GLASS WINDOW
http://sacramento.craigslist.org/hsh/840884982.html
http://reno.craigslist.org/for/842047203.html
I was looking at a unit on ACE's website but we were hoping for something a little more manly- Hahr Hahr Huh (Tim-Tool Man grunts).
Looking forward to hear any thoughts you might have now that you've read the War & Peace version of shopping for a wood stove LOL.
Quinn

If you let us know what sort of budget you have, size of house and layout, if you have an existing chimney that you'll connect to, etc- then folks here can make some suggestions for your best options (new, or one of those used ones).

If buying wood- remember that new stoves use up to 1/3 less wood (some claim to have saved 40% or more) compared to old technology.

Have you looked at the under $1K Englander 13NC? If not, go to your local Home Depot or Lowes and check one out. I think you will be so much happier with a new, EPA stove and can still stay in a tight budget.

Would you be comfortable doing the install yourself? If so, I would agree that a less expensive, new stove may fit your budget. I just replaced an old, large stove with a new EPA certified stove rated to heat 1500 sq. ft. that I bought at the Ace hardware in the nearby town. I saved on labor by removing the old stove and installing the new one myself. My total cost, including new pipe, was around $900. (I'll admit that I don't need a lot of pipe because my stove feeds in to a masonry chimney.) The old stove could heat my small house, but it ate wood like crazy and took a while to heat up and throw off heat; plus, it emitted a fine particulate matter within the house (like a layer of dust), which, if you have any family members with any respiratory aliments, may be somewhat of a problem when using an older stove. (Since installing the new stove, I've only had my break-in fires and a few small fires on nippy mornings to take the chill off the house, but I've been amazed at how much more quickly the new stove heats up and begins warming the house. Guess it's probably a combination of a smaller firebox and lighter steel.) If you don't live near any big box stores, you can have local hardware stores, including DoItBest, order a stove for you, if they don't carry them in stock. DoItBest carries Englander stoves and actually has free shipping to (participating) stores. Ace should be able to get a Drolet or Century from their main warehouse (I don't know about their shipping policy--I didn't need to worry about it because the store I bought from stocks stoves). Good luck whichever way you go, new or used wood stove. Not only does heating with wood help out budget-wise, but it provides that all-critical alternative energy source that keeps on going during power outages.

$300 is a nice price. If you can't drop 2k on a new stove, go with that one. It will heat your house without a doubt. Not everyone has a brand-new shiny epa-certified wood stove. If you have a surplus of wood or if you are just using it as supplemental heat, you will do just fine.

Option 2 - if stoves are hard to come-by, re-list it at $500 and see if anyone will bite. Use that $500 to buy a new stove.

Option 3 - install it and use it this winter. Wait til next year when all the new woodburners are selling off their new but used 2008 stoves for half-price because it's too much work to cut and load wood all winter.

Puttin' the cart before the horse!
Talked to the county building clerk and I'm required to have an EPA stove so will be keeping my eye open for one. Was hoping find a used one for $300 but now with EPA, will need to double/tripple that. Not sure if it makes sense now to do it having to add $500 for a chimney kit and $150 for double wall stove pipe and $150 for the materials for hearth. May wait till next summer to give it any consideration.
Thanks all.
Quinn

Status
Not open for further replies.