Stove Install Question - Tile floor.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am tiling a very small surface area, directly over concrete slab. Is there a particular tile that will be better, less likely to crack? Is there a thickness I should be looking for?

With such a small area, the cost of different materials will be nominal when choosing between ceramic or stone tile. The labor and trim for my hearth will cost me more.

It depends on the look you are trying to achieve. I like porcelain tile, but stone can be very nice too.

I used porcelain tile that looks like slate. Figured it would be more scratch resistant than the real thing.

If installed correctly, it shouldn't matter too much the thickness. But a ceramic or porcelain tile would be a lot easier to clean and maintain. I would recommend if you use a natural stone product (ie slate) that you use a high quality sealer that would protect against water, oil, ect.

Thanks all you guys. So if I use the stone, after it's down, put the sealer on it and let dry for a couple days, then have the stove moved in. I saw that on some tile websites and it's about $50 a jug. I bet with such a small area, it won't take much. I'm probably going to make my hearth much bigger than standard hearth pads, so I can have ashes and debris fall without worrying about the adjacent carpet. Highbeam I belive and some others have carpet, and it doesn't seem to cause a problem.

The first stove installed a couple years ago pictured in my profile is on ceramic tile and that has worked out nicely. Stone can be had for a couple dollars per tile, so there is almost no difference in price. I think the stone might look real nice if it holds up. Once the stove is in place, there shouldn't be any real wear on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.