Stove pipe damper question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Crabby

Nov 13, 2007
Ohio
Hey guys, I was just wondering. I have and old Earth Stove 100 series and I installed a stove pipe damper last year, it seemed to help, but I am afraid that it's causing my stove pipe to build up creosote. Is there a certain time you guys shut your damper. I seemed to help last year, i was burning a lot of wood and when i installed the damper it helped a bunch. This year I am really wanting to keep my pipe clean as possible. I mean when i get home from work, i crank the stove to about 900 for about 5 to 10 mins and then shut it down, do the same in the morning. I just wanted to try this year to keep my stove warm all day when i am gone and all night. My wood is good to go this year. i got a good head start last year and had some left over. Just trying to improve with this stove, it's a little different than the one i grew up with at my parents house when i was younger. Thanks

Dry wood and hot initial burns is a good start. The critical stage is the time after wood is added. As the wood heats up, it outgases strongly. If the stove and flue are hot, it's ok to have the pipe damper closed, but it's important that the fire get enough air to burn off those gases. How far the pipe damper is closed will depend on the setup. It may only be 50% closed. Check outside and look at the flue, if it's smoking, liven up the fire a little bit.

That said, this stove has a big firebox. It's never going to be a clean burner as compared to a modern stove. So load it up with less wood and let it go out if the temps are moderate outside. That's better than smoldering all day. If you want long burns, less creosote and less wood consumption, replace it with a new big box.

Thanks for the reply, I know it's an older stove and I won't get a cleaner burn than the new ones. I usually don't start burning till the temps are 40 and below, if it get warmer than that i won't bother with it. It gets to hot and it's harder to burn because of the warmer weather. I pretty much now how to us the damper and what you told me is pretty much what I do, I just wanted to see if there were any other ways of doing it, or making it better, so i am glad i am doing some what ok, I will just have to keep working at it and eventually i will get it just right. Thanks for your help!!

Status
Not open for further replies.