stove pipe question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ziggy19

Feb 13, 2011
Nova Scotia
from the manual:

Always go up vertically for at least 2 feet from the flue
spigot before using a 90o elbow.

in my case the stove we are looking at buying and to fit into our existing chiminey the pipe would go up about 21 inches before the elbow. would 3 inches make a difference. also would it make more sense to go with a shorter length and use two 45 degree joints to reach into the chiminey fitting. That way I can use an adjustable stove pipe 12-18" instead of trying to cut a 24" pipe down to 21".

appreciate any input on this matter and thanks in advance.

ziggy19 said:
from the manual:

Always go up vertically for at least 2 feet from the flue
spigot before using a 90o elbow.

in my case the stove we are looking at buying and to fit into our existing chiminey the pipe would go up about 21 inches before the elbow. would 3 inches make a difference. also would it make more sense to go with a shorter length and use two 45 degree joints to reach into the chiminey fitting. That way I can use an adjustable stove pipe 12-18" instead of trying to cut a 24" pipe down to 21".

appreciate any input on this matter and thanks in advance.

I went with 2 45's, it seems to draft well, I have 24' of triple wall class A above it. You don't really want to cut the pipe down if you can help it... I never did figure out a good way to do it, and just finally used a hacksaw, slow going it is.

You are right. I'd recommend going with the 45's as well.

pen

The three inches are probably negligible, & the stove will never know the the first section is short.
As far as cutting goes, put an abrasive, metal-cutting blade on your circular saw.
Make sure you wear leather gloves & safety glasses/goggles.
Mark where you want to cut it - always at the MALE end - with a sharpie & follow the mark.
Roll the pipe into the saw as you cut. **This works better with two people***
Debur the edges with a smooth file...

Status
Not open for further replies.