Stove Pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

subsailor

Minister of Fire
Dec 8, 2011
Winthrop, Maine
I don't know why I haven't asked this before now. When I bought my first stove, an Englander, I used 3" DuraVent pipe. When I bought my Harman, the pipe didn't mate to the stove properly. With the stove adapter from the Englander on the pipe, the pipe and exhaust port on the Harman were the same diameter. Without the adapter, the pipe would fit inside the exhaust port, which is how I have it connected. Obviously if I left it like that, a lot of smoke would come into the house. Upon the advice of my dealer, I sealed it with aluminum tape. My problem is I still get a strong smoke smell upon startup and shutdown, especially early in the year. Several times I've laid by the pipe with a mag light trying to see if it smokes on startup, but nothing is visible. Is there an adapter available that will mate 3" DuraVent pipe to a Harman correctly?

Harman stove take-offs are designed to fit between the inner and outer walls of the Duravent pipe. Fill the void with red RTV siliconeand slip it on to the take-off. Fasten the pipe with two stainless self-tapping screws. You will not need an adapter if you do this...imacman provided a link to a new adapter simpson makes for fitting on to Harmans. FYI, Lopi stoves all have a 4" adapter that fits into the 4" duravent the same way.

That sure looks like it's what I need. Thanks.

Here's the info & part numbers from Simpson:

Attachments

• pvp_harman_adapter_web.pdf
    240.1 KB · Views: 234
Status
Not open for further replies.