Stove pipe quick disconnect

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

woodknack

Jul 21, 2010
central Maine - Farmingdale
Do they make such a beast? Im looking for something easy that disconnects just behind the stove. As it is right now I have to go outside and unscrew my pipe hangers and then turn the 3 foot of dura-vent counter clockwise to disconnect it to the pipe going to the stove. I then go in and move the stove forward until the last section of pipe comes through the wall (12" piece).

I was thinking if anything major happened in the winter like say a blower motor etc went, then I would have to go out side and do all that to just be able to get at the back of my stove. I only have one side panel. No way I can get to anything on the other side unless I pull it back from the wall.

Do they make a quick disconnect that I can buy that connects to my stove and then to the dura-vent?

slvrblkk said:

Yes my stove has that. but after you silicone it to the stove and pipe it is almost impossible to disconnect by hand. After I disconnect the out side pipe and move the stove forward Then I have enough room to get at cutting the silicone off the adapter and getting it off the stove. NO WAY I could do that with the rest of the pipe still installed. I only have 3 or 4 inchs from the stove to the wall to work. Thats why I was looking to see if there was any type of fast quick disconnect I could put there. maybe im not doing something right??

Stove adapter and/or Ithink it is called an expansion fitting or slide fitting? use w/foil tape as Blimp suggests

My stove is 12 inches from the wall for rear access. Don't know of any quick disconnect, my adapter is held on with one screw and sealed on the outside. If I remove the one screw and cut the sealer it will be free from stove.

woodknack- what type of stove do you have? sorry i cannot discern from your avatar. many stoves have a quick disconnect flange, so you can just unbolt the flange that the stove adapter is silly-coned to. usually have to replace a lytherm type gasket when you do this, but at least you dont have to wrangle the pipe too much or go outside in the snow in the middle of a blizzard. Harman,Lennox/Whitfield, and Enviro have this ability.

imacman said:
slvrblkk said:
I use high temp silicone tape on the seams...the stuff works great.... it seals well and comes off easily.....

http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CK332uWu2qMCFVVx5QodbRMn_g

That tape has a temp limit of 500 °F ....do you use it on the pipe that is right after the exhaust outlet on the stove? Gets pretty hot there...ever use a IR temp gun on that pipe after stove is up to temp on a medium setting?

I'll dig my gun out of the truck and check....I think the tape I have was rated to 700 degrees.....I got the stove cranking today so I'll check the temp....I use the tape on all seams and the adapter....haven't had an issue with it in two years so far.....

Steve

slvrblkk said:
imacman said:
slvrblkk said:
I use high temp silicone tape on the seams...the stuff works great.... it seals well and comes off easily.....

http://www.rescuetape.com/?gclid=CK332uWu2qMCFVVx5QodbRMn_g

That tape has a temp limit of 500 °F ....do you use it on the pipe that is right after the exhaust outlet on the stove? Gets pretty hot there...ever use a IR temp gun on that pipe after stove is up to temp on a medium setting?

I'll dig my gun out of the truck and check....I think the tape I have was rated to 700 degrees.....I got the stove cranking today so I'll check the temp....I use the tape on all seams and the adapter....haven't had an issue with it in two years so far.....

Steve

Wow...the adapter temp is WAY lower than I thought....it's about 240 degrees where the stove meets the adapter and the rest of the exhaust pipe is 170 degrees on down...I just checked the packaging and my tape is only the 500 degree tape.....not sure where I got the 700 from.....

Status
Not open for further replies.