stove pipe shielding help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lead Pipe

Jun 26, 2008
CT
I am installing a stove, but I have a problem with the 6" pipe. It runs 10" away from the 3" PVC air intake going to my boiler. I need a way to shield the intake and was thinking of putting an extra piece of stove pipe around the intake. Do you think this will work or should I do something else too?

Thanks
John

Either get the heat shield as seen in the previous post, or
switch your connector to double-wall...
The heat shield is the least expensive option, by far...

Dave_1 said:
The following spec's are taken from

The Clearance Table

http://www.woodstove.com/pages/hearthplan.html

No Protection on Stove Pipe - 20"
Rear Heat Shield Kit on Stove - 10"
Heat Shield with 1” Ventilated Airspace - 12"

Dave1, you might want to be careful about using that info because it is specific to the woodstock stove in your source. Actual chimney/connector pipe requirements are generic and are actually less than the woodstock requires.

The standard double wall stovepipe can be as little as 6" from a combustible per the sticker on the pipe. I used the double wall because my install put the sheetrock 10" away from the pipe. Double wall is actually a better pipe than single wall since the interior pipe is stainless steel and much more resistant to corrosion and high temps.

If this is a basement install, I like double-wall too. It will keep the flue gases hotter along with better heat shielding in all directions.

Thanks for the tips. Is there any problem with copper plumbing being close to the pipe? I also noticed that I have a water line (boiler return) is about 3" away from the pipe.

Thanks again
John

I wouldn't consider a copper pipe to be combustible.

Lead Pipe said:
Thanks for the tips. Is there any problem with copper plumbing being close to the pipe? I also noticed that I have a water line (boiler return) is about 3" away from the pipe.

Thanks again
John

Is this the only appliance that will be using the chimney flue? If you can post a picture of the setup we can eyeball it for other potential issues.

Yes, when I upgraded my boiler the new one vented with pvc pipe so I had an unused flue that the old boiler hooked up to. The old boiler was natural gas and the flue looks brand new.

Highbeam said:

I guess my concern is that the water in the pipe will boil, causing steam which would be bad in a closed pipe.

thanks
John

Lead Pipe said:
Highbeam said:

I guess my concern is that the water in the pipe will boil, causing steam which would be bad in a closed pipe.

thanks
John

The water in the pipe is under pressure.... the boiling point is raised about 3*f per pound of pressure...so if you have 50 psi water pressure.... the boiling point would be about 362*f at sea level.... but then if you turn that into steam...the pressure will be raised more...thus higher boiling point..

Status
Not open for further replies.