Stove pipe turning white?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skier76

Minister of Fire
Apr 14, 2009
CT and SoVT
6" single wall split pipe. It was just installed this year; 1st year burner. I noticed this slight change over the past few weeks. The only thing different with regards to the stove has been a cast iron tea kettle we leave up top to boil water. It sits somewhat near the stove pipe. And since we leave the top of the kettle open (to prevent boil over), I suppose the "steam" could be hitting the pipe.

I'm OCD about the stove temp. I do my best to keep it 600F or under per Jotul. I use a stove top thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.

Attachments

• IMG_2040 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_2040 (Medium).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 1,386
Skier76 said:
6" single wall split pipe. It was just installed this year; 1st year burner. I noticed this slight change over the past few weeks. The only thing different with regards to the stove has been a cast iron tea kettle we leave up top to boil water. It sits somewhat near the stove pipe. And since we leave the top of the kettle open (to prevent boil over), I suppose the "steam" could be hitting the pipe.

I'm OCD about the stove temp. I do my best to keep it 600F or under per Jotul. I use a stove top thermometer to keep an eye on the temp.

That is the hottest spot and therefore the paint is burning off. I have found that some pipes / stoves just don't have good paint or the paint isn't as good as found on others. My Englander 30 has a white spot on the front center of the top plate, right where the lower and upper levels meet (where my steamer is in my sig pic). I'll paint the top plate this summer with good heat paint rated for 1000 degrees and it'll be good for years.

pen

Thanks pen. Looks like I'll be hitting it with some paint once the warmer weather rolls around.

Often whitening of the pipe is a sign of overfiring. Just for yuks, try putting the flue thermometer on that location for a few burns to see how the temps check out.

I can do tht this weekend. What's a good temp to see when I put the thermometer there?

I can usually get the stove to run at about 525 or 550 when I shut the air down with a loaded firebox for a longer burn. Stovetop temp of course.

Astrolopitec said:
I am a great fan of graphite stove polish. But from the reading that I've done around here. It would appear that folks are more partial to heat paints.
Any particular reason ?

My stove is metallic brown.

Skier, is it possible you have a leak at that location?

Astrolopitec, Its very very difficult to repaint a stove after it's had stove polish on it. That's why I steer clear of the stuff.

Skier76 said:
I can do tht this weekend. What's a good temp to see when I put the thermometer there?

I can usually get the stove to run at about 525 or 550 when I shut the air down with a loaded firebox for a longer burn. Stovetop temp of course.

A temp of over 900 would be overfiring. If the thermometer is reading correctly and it reads over 600 at that location then the flue gases could be higher than 900. For a confirmation if the temps at that location are high, turn off all the lights, let your eyes adjust to the darkness and see if the pipe is glowing red. If so, cut back the air, regardless of thermometer reading.

cmonSTART,
I thought about a leak there, but after inspecting, things look tight. I'm not getting any smell and the co/smoke detectors aren't going off.

BeGreen,
Thanks. I'll get the stove up to temp, then move the thermometer and see what it reads. I'll also do the lights out trick and see what I can see. Maybe I'll grab another thermometer and put it on the flu so I can watch both at the same time.

Astrolopitec said:
I am a great fan of graphite stove polish. But from the reading that I've done around here. It would appear that folks are more partial to heat paints.
Any particular reason ?
A lot of the guys in the forum have enameled or painted stoves. Real nice glossy or semi- gloss finishes. Windows in the doors, etc. Beautiful.

If by 'stove polish' you mean what I was taught to call 'stove black', that's what I use here. It looks like waxy black toothpaste, coming out of the tube. I think what I bought was made by Rutland. It gets applied with a wet sponge to a cold stove. Makes a heck of a lot less stink than new stove paint curing, but it doesn't give a lot of shine and it dulls down quickly to a matte finish. My stove is a rustic steel box. It looks real good with stove black. ;-)

Can you see me? What do I look like?
Yeah- black, square- kind of regular...
That's the steel box! Inside I'm tan and handsome!
Nino- you are amazing...

(Thanks Firesign Theatre- "Everything You Know is Wrong" (1974)

Great website, BTW. Thanks for linking to it. You are surely a crazy- er, ah- intrepid astronomer. Interesting photos, thanks!

Go to pep boys, buy engine paint or brake caliper paint (whatever's cheaper) in whatever color you want and paint away. I plan on having CHRISTMAS TWENTY FOUR BY SEVEN BY THREE SIXTY FIVE and candy-cane striping my stovepipe.

OK maybe not.

I fixed it this weekend. Prep took more time than painting. I lined the area behind the stove with newspaper. I used a little 150 grit to scuff up the surface. That may have been a bitt to course; it left some scratch marks in the metal, but the paint covered them up easily. I also used some 0000 steel wool after the sand paper. I think it came out nicely.

Attachments

• Stovepipe.jpg
    Stovepipe.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 769
Skier76 said:
I fixed it this weekend. Prep took more time than painting. I lined the area behind the stove with newspaper. I used a little 150 grit to scuff up the surface. That may have been a bitt to course; it left some scratch marks in the metal, but the paint covered them up easily. I also used some 0000 steel wool after the sand paper. I think it came out nicely.

Yep, almost 8 months IS a lot of prep time. :lol:
Just messin' with 'ya. That looks a lot better.

Looking good for the next season Skier.

LOL! I figured I'd bump the old instead of starting a new!

A few weeks ago, I also used some Rutland cement in the area where that section of pipe enters the Jotul. That slight gap always bothered me a bit. It never smoked...but I figured better safe than sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.