stove pipe wall thickness ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rustynut

Feeling the Heat
Jan 5, 2008
mid mich
hi all,
putting this 5700 quad together on friday
wondering what i should look for in good quality stove pipe ?
what type wall thickness would be good ?
vertical install
do they make a slip joint ?
any good info ?
thanks
rn

Double-walled is considered the better choice for safety and keeping the flue warmer.
The pipe you choose should be based on what chimney you have - unless you're venting into masonry?
Dura-vent DVL and DSP are 2 good options - both have telescopic lengths.
Security is another manufacture to consider. All are made of .015 or .016" 430 alloy SS for the inner pipe and the outer pipe is 26G Aluminized steel painted black for the DVL and 26G Black steel for the DSP and Security. I'm not sure if the painted pipe is harder to keep looking nice, but it might be worth asking some members here that have it - if you go that route.
If you have a factory-built chimney, then you should stick with the stove pipe made by that manufacture for their chimney pipe.

One disadvantage of double wall stove pipe is that you get very little if any heat radiating off the length of pipe that you have. With single wall, the pipe acts as sort of an extension of the stove. I used Heat Fab 22 ga welded pipe. Whatever youuse I would stay away from the snap together (also snaps apart) pipe.
Heat Fab does make slip joint pipe.

Check your stove manual. Sometimes clearances are INCREASED w/ double wall because in theory the stove burns hotter.

ok
found a heavy wall pipe that is fully welded
also has a slip joint
that should make the install a bit easier
big snow coming tonight
that should set the mood for the assembly
thanks

I have double wall interior pipe that is vented, so you still reclaim heat, but the shield allows for closer clearance's. I agree (I have )would never again use snap together pipe. I also like the trombone pipe, just slip it right into the chimney, fast and slick. The only way to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.