Stove temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sowers25

Jan 16, 2012
NE West Virginia
Where is the best place to put my magnetic stove thermometer? At the moment I have it about a foot up the flue pipe. Also what is a good temperature to try and keep the stove without creating creosote or over firing?

That is where I have mine also. The magnetic one on the stove and my IR unit are very close.

Good to have both stove top and flue thermometers. Most folks tend to put the flue thermometer about 18" up and most stoves like dead center for the thermometer.

The best way to prevent creosote is to burn good wood and not try to be cute. It can be done. For example, we haven't cleaned our chimney for 3 years now and the last time we cleaned it we got about a cup of soot and no creosote. There is no creosote in there now either. We generally do not burn any wood until it has been in the stack for 3 years or more. Some wood, like oak, takes 3 years to dry enough. Some take less, but what we like to keep in mind is that we never know when some disaster might strike and we can't put up wood for a year or even worse. Having wood on hand means we won't freeze (wood heat is our only heat) and it also means we do not have to depend on others to put up our wood for us nor do we have to buy any.

Reactions: charly
My Jotul manual has the thermometer on the corner of the top plate, there is no mention of the flue thermometer in the manual. However I have one just as Dennis mentioned 18" up dead center. I'm not sure your stove manual has a suggestion or not

Status
Not open for further replies.