Stove top temp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Cranberry Hill Farm

Oct 28, 2011
Quiet Corner CT
How high is too high for a stove top temp? My Rutland is placed 6" back from the front and 6" in from the side on my eco-choice ws 22. Right now it reads 750 with my stack reading 475. Does this sound ok? It seems a little high to me! Thanks!

I'm not there to see your stove, but if my Englander was hitting 800, I'd be opening the damper up a bit to cool the rate of secondary burn. I have read that some will momentarily open the stove door and this will cool things down too - which I gather clears the stove of a bunch of outgasses up the chimney vs being burned by the secondary tubes.

Hang in there and let us know how the ride went... ;)

Bill

Did you just put a fresh load of wood on a very hot coal bed? If yes, next time burn the coal bed down a bit first. Rake the coals to the front and open up the air.

yep, reduce the coals / rake to the front rather than spreading (as BG said) before loading or put in smaller loads more often.

This may seem problematic, but it's much better than dealing w/ problems with wet wood IMO.

This looks like a big wood stove. Another option (depending on the length of your wood) might be to try loading the stove east to west (left to right) rather than north-south if that has been what you were doing.

pen

I've only been using my WS22 for not quite 2 weeks and I've hit 750 a couple of
Times but it doesn't stay there too long once I shut down the air.
It's been a steep learning curve for me. The last stove we had was an Ashely and that was more than 25 years ago. The wife still wants to try to run this one the same way but she's getting there.

When the stovetop thermometer on my Morso 3660 gets in the 600+ degree range I start getting concerned about a too hot fire and kick the overhead ceiling fan onto high. I've never seen much over 700 degrees, but its hard to even get near it when its past 600. 500 is a hot burn for us and usually the tovetop hovers between 350 and 400. Reading what you guys are doing I suspect I'm running my stove pretty cool and what I think is a hot fire maybe isn't so hot.

I do not have a stack temp probe...I really ought to get one though.

Status
Not open for further replies.