Stove top thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

new_wood

May 9, 2011
Lebanon, Ohio
After a long house remodel we should be up and running with our new Buck 74 freestanding stove (pics to come soon). We had a small Buck insert we were using before. I have never used a stove top thermometer but stopped at TSC on my way home last nigth and purchased a Rutland for about $12. My questions are 1) I am sure there are probably more expensive ones available but will this one work just as well for me as most others available for sale? 2) Stove top vs stove pipe thermometer......do I need both and what info does one tell you that the other doesn't other than the temp in the different zones? Do I need to monitor the stove pipe temp if the stove top temp tells me that the stove is burning in the "preferred range"? Thanks in advance for your input.

I like to use both. Once you get use to the stove they are a good tool to fine tune your burns.

Some are more accurate than others, and I don't put too much faith in the actual reading. It does, however, give you a good reference when you find how your stove runs the best.

If you have a single wall stove pipe you can use a magentic stove pipe thermo. If you have double wall you need to use a probe.

I have both a stove top (monitor what is happening to the stove) and in my case a flue probe (monitor what is going on in the flue). think of it like a speedometer and a tachometer in a car. Both give you different but important information. In my case I rarely even look at the stove top any more. I can tell by sight with the fire and if I need a temp I prefer the real time info of the flue gas temps.

As far as the burn ranges I say bahhh. I personally want numbers, to often people put say a stove pipe thermo on their stove top (I know there is a difference) and think that the "optimum" burn range is what, depending on the thermo, somewhere between 400 and 850 when their stove shouldn't be getting that hot.

I have one on my stove but I don't really pay much attention to it. It's more a novelty to me than anything else. Put wood in teh house when it's getting cold in teh house and turn the air down. The stove will run 400-500* without fussing with it.

Denny said:
After a long house remodel we should be up and running with our new Buck 74 freestanding stove (pics to come soon). Ah, you've been reading and realize we like our stove pics! :) We had a small Buck insert we were using before. I have never used a stove top thermometer but stopped at TSC on my way home last nigth and purchased a Rutland for about $12. My questions are 1) I am sure there are probably more expensive ones available but will this one work just as well for me as most others available for sale? Stove thermometers are notorious for not being spot on accurate . . . but in general most folks find these thermos do a fair job of letting you know the approximate temp of the stove. I prefer Condars myself, but many folks have had success with Rutlands. 2) Stove top vs stove pipe thermometer......do I need both and what info does one tell you that the other doesn't other than the temp in the different zones? I like having both and actually use both. Stove top thermo will let you know if you're approaching the overfire temps and will let you know approximately when you can start dialing down the air for a successful secondary burn. The flue thermometer (probe style for double wall pipe and magnetic for single wall pipe) is good for letting you know if the flue temps are running too cool (which produces creosote), too hot (which can ignite the creosote) or just right . . . I actually find I use my flue thermometer more often to adjust my air control than I do my stove thermo . . . but I like, and rely on both. Do I need to monitor the stove pipe temp if the stove top temp tells me that the stove is burning in the "preferred range"? Not necessarily . . . but as I said previously . . . I find having both thermos quite handy as it gives me a bunch of information about what's happening both in the firebox and in the flue. It's kind of like saying you technically don't need a gas gauge or speedometer in your car . . . but when you have these it provides an extra measure of safety and allows you to operate your vehicle more efficiently . . . as you are not running out of gas, speeding excessively and can gauge when you want to re-fuel your car or slow down. Thanks in advance for your input.

Welcome to the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.