Stoves vs Insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmiller2

Dec 30, 2008
Tennessee
I am considering the building of a small house/cabin that has in the center a block/brick hollow column with a inside dimension of
about 3 by 6 feet. It will contain my heating system consisting of a lower insert-type wood stove and stainless steel flue pipe and
a few feet above that a heat pump airhandler and coil. What would be a good choice for the wood burning part that would approach
the efficiency of a good free-standing stove? It will be an "insert" in name only. The heat-pump part will be totally independant of
the wood burning system except I may design so the fan can distribute the wood heat.

Thanks
Jim Miller

I'm not sure I follow the design. Are you looking for a free-standing stove that is set in a block alcove or a ZC fireplace that uses the block column as the chase? And why so massive a column in a small place? If I was going to take up that amount of space I would be putting in a masonry heater and a high-efficiency mini-split heat pump system. Then you could have a centrally located free-standing stove, no ductwork and a much more efficient system.

FWIW, I have some concerns with putting an airhandler in the block column. On being that it will expose the a/h to unnecessary heat. Another being that the return must be at least 10 ft away from the stove.

Begreen

I will be using the block structure for roof support and like the idea of a massive looking central
fireplace even though it is more looks than function. It will be about 16 feet tall and the coil/airhandler
could be a few feet above the stove and near only the double wall SS flue pipe. It would be on a
metal shelf and could even have insulation board between it and the stove below. I never considered
the heatpump air intake being close to stove. The whole design is still being considered. If I always
have the heatpump turned off when using wood will the location of the air-input to the airhandler
matter other than to have it as far as possible from the output side.
As to inserts I have read how inefficient fireplaces were in relation to stoves but thought that
there should be some that were really stoves in the shape of a insert that came close to
free-standing efficiency. One that stuck out 6-8 inches from the block/brick wall with fan
powered heat vents would work fine and maybe be more efficient.

Thanks
Jim Miller

The big difference is surface area. A stove has all sides exposed to radiate heat, but an insert is just the face and maybe a bit of a "bump out" (stove like part that extends past the masonry) to radiate heat into the room.

Status
Not open for further replies.