Stoving cleaning question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smg64ct

Nov 21, 2006
Connecticut
I cleaned my Mount Vernon the other day. I took out the baffle and I found this black tar like substance, could it be cretosote? The stove is only a year old and I took the baffle off once a month during the winter season and I keep it very clean. I was thinking it was caused by humidity. I cleaned off as much as I could and put it together.

My question is do I need to clean it out better before I use the stove again this fall?

Thanks,
Steve

Steve I found a little of the same in my Castile that I was cleaning out yesterday. As I removed my top baffle I felt the damp creosote and also behind my left brick panel. I too cleaned my stove all season, and wondered why.

I think it is good to burn very hot fires occasionally to burn off creosote. Some only burn little fires when it is not cold outside which may accumulate creosote. Better short duration hot fire than long duration warm fire.

Last inspector of my fireplace thought the chimney had been cleaned recently. I replied about 15 years ago.

Just thoughts,
Jay

Status
Not open for further replies.