Stow chow or Agway?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pellet-King

Minister of Fire
Nov 30, 2008
Northern Ct
Considering Chow is at a all time low under $170 and i can get Agway/hamer's for $225 and looking for a heat winter pellet or should i save $50 a ton and get the Chow?
Okies are $250 and now there quality went down and have alot of ash like the pennington i'm burning, BTU lost his claim to fame in my book. :)

Tough choice. Agway Hamers have the extra heat, But the Chow aint doing bad for me.

Have you tried them both yet?

Yea tried a bag of Hamer's and Chow week before, my stove loves the shorter size, to me the hamer's bag's weren't that full, more dense?

$50 bucks is $50 bucks. Even if you have to burn a few extra pounds a day to get the heat out hard to pass on the Chow.

I'd rather support my local pellet dealers, But man its tough to not take advantage on these savings. I'll sneak over to the pellet house when the bigbox has nothing but gas grills and lawn furniture on display!

Got the Hammer's, Spruce Point's and Stove Chow in my stash, OINK OINK, and for the money the Stove Chow has been a great pellet. The MT Vernon AE isn't real fussy about pellets but the Hammer's seemed to go through it a little faster than the others because of their smaller size. When I start using them again I will set the stove up a little different. When it gets real cold again I want to try a hybrid mix of the 3 and see how it goes. Stopped at Home Depot yesterday and got 2 tons of the Chow using the 10% coupon. I like them a lot best big box pellet I have burned so far. I also tried the Freedom Fuel and Inferno's and they were just ok nothing special, good 40 degree and above pellets. I have a couple bags of each Cubex, Rocky MT, Vermont's and Okies to try on a cold weekend.

Attachments

• Quadrafire 194 (Large).jpg
    Quadrafire 194 (Large).jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 780
  • Quadrafire 205 (Large).jpg
    Quadrafire 205 (Large).jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 800
Just finished burning a couple bags of Chow that I picked up the other day and I agree that they are a darn good pellet for the current $3.84 a bag at Lowe's.

I have recently tested Maine's Choice, Fireside Ultra and Green Team and I will probably get a ton of the Stove Chow.

which HD in ct, the enfield store near me did not have any stove chow the last time i was there, i would really like to try a couple of bags.

Last week Enfield had Chow, also has Freedom and Fireside's which says on the ton made in canada, are those better?, aren't they Energex Canadian?
Last years Freedom's were very small in diameter but burned good, this year totally opposite, bloated looking like they got damp.
I'm heading up to HD this morning for 2 ton's

Saw the stove chow yesterday at HD in Greenfield for 179. Unfortunatly all 6 pallets looked to have severe water damage(bloated frozen bags). I would like to try them but I'm not buying any of those pallets

If I may ask? Where are you getting the Chow for under $170.00??? It's $187.00 down south CT? @ the big box stores? Still have not checked Agway prices?

Have used 2 ton of Stove Chow already. They burn fine. I will buy them again.

Doublea88 said:
If I may ask? Where are you getting the Chow for under $170.00??? It's $187.00 down south CT? @ the big box stores? Still have not checked Agway prices?

Head to the post office. Pick up the movers pack. In it is a 10% coupon for lowes. HD has been accepting it as well.

$187.00
- 18.70 (10%)
_______
$163.30

Check for the lowest price. As some stores are cheaper than others.

Movers pack??? I will have to go on Monday and check this out, now with the blower motor purchase and this I should even out??? LOL.. Hmmmmm. Going to see if the wife would like to go to HD?? I'm sure I could make up some excuse...

WOW, I just made Burning Chunk :) :cheese: :lol: I'm moving up the ladder... :question:

Thanks PK,
printed out 10% coupon and along with a $50 gift card had to get another ton of Stove Chow. I am now a PIG

Damn these pellet's are HOT!, never had temps this high in my house!!, beat's Okies hands down, low dust/fines.
Burned my leg's just refilling just now.
Stuck my turkey fryer thermometer and i'm getting 325 degree's, Pennington's i'd get 245, Okies I was seeing 295, Hamers about the same.

My Agway's are NEWP. So it depends on where you are when you buy Agway. (So.east, NH).

Just got the ton of Hamers at Agway for $250. Price drop must be on next shipment to the store. Too bad, not sure if i will need another ton or not...

I like what I am seeing on the Stove Chow reviews. I just tried 3 bags from HD at $3.74 a bag / $187 a ton and they burned nicely. I think I am going to pick up 1 - 1.5 tons of the Chow. Keep the feedback coming in.

I'm not all that happy with the 2 tons of super premium freedom fuel I got from HD, so when I saw they had StoveChow, I jumped on another ton, was there last night and they still have chow, so i'll probably will pick up 2 more tons.

Freedom isn't as good as is Fireside Ultra's, Chow all the way!!!

my son started using Stovechow this week and the first or second bag had a 3/8" stainless steel bolt in it. It destroyed the auger. the biggest problem is our inability to contact Stovechow. Does Stovechow have a web site? Is there a telephone number we can use?
Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx,
chucksdad

Status
Not open for further replies.