Strange how things sometimes work out

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Backwoods Savage

Minister of Fire
Feb 14, 2007
Michigan
A couple years ago a fellow (his father-in-law is my wife's nephew) helped us out doing a few things. This year he needs some wood because the place where he had been cutting petered out. So, I let him cut some of our ash trees.

Wife needs some new dentures. Man who makes dentures needs firewood. Can we make a trade here? Yes! He needs firewood before the weekend as he is almost out. I just had surgery so I can't do much throwing around of the wood and making deliveries so....what about that guy who has been cutting some wood on our place? Calls made and he agrees that today is a good day as it is his day off. He has a big pickup plus a big trailer with electric hoist. Says can haul 4 face cord without stacking but just throwing into the trailer.

Problem: lots of snow and wood pile is not at all near the road. Surgery or not, the Backwoods Savage mounts his atv and goes out to plow snow. Got the job done too. Call man to tell him he can get back to the wood pile without getting stuck. So we are waiting for him now. Then the Mrs. will go with him to make the delivery and also get the dentures started.

All of this has happened with no dollars changing hands! I like to think of it as constructive bartering. I like these sort of deals and in this case I think all parties will be very happy.

Of course that means our wood pile will shrink more than expected but hopefully we can get caught up again before too long. I may even entertain the thought of cutting firewood this summer but am not really sure. Perhaps an early start next fall and cut lots then.

I think the barter system is a great way of doing business. Seems like the fellow taking the free ash owes you alittle and he should be there to help you out after your surgery.

Not sure what the current market price is for a new set of chompers - I guess it all depends on the finished product. I would think dentures are pricey?

Ya, they are not cheap! We may end up paying some cash but then, we may end up supplying more wood in years to come.

No worries about tax evasion here. We take care of the problem before it becomes one.

around here the language of " Bartering" is spoken loud n' clear and everything is a currency.

Adios Pantalones said:
LOL- send the govt 12% of a cord of wood, and 2 teef out of the dentures and see what they say.

+1 would like to see the look on some bureaucrat's face when they walk up to their office front door & see 2 wheelbarrow's of wood dumped in front of it. :lol:

With that new ATV You have load a day baby, every day!

First load delivered. Wife said man is extremely happy. He was almost out of wood too.

Sounds great Dennis. Ya can't beat a deal like that.

Billy

Dennis, if your hip doesn't allow you to work like you want to this summer, let me know and the wife and I will come down and help you c/s/s for a day.

P.S. What a great deal to get some dentures made! Does he do crowns? :lol:

A generous offer for sure and we thank you. Hopefully we will be fine but will surely keep your offer in mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.