strange tool, what is it???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikeyny

Feeling the Heat
Nov 16, 2007
upstate ny
This strange almost mid-evil looking tool has been in with a collection of old hand tools handed down from my father from his father etc, etc. Mostly old draw knives (i still use them) wood hand planes levels and stuff like that. This one is strange, anyone recognize it.

Attachments

• strange tool 006.jpg
    strange tool 006.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 482
  • strange tool 007.jpg
    strange tool 007.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 503
  • strange tool 008.jpg
    strange tool 008.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 495
I think it belonged to a blacksmith. Anvils quite typically had (still have) a square hole into which an "accessory" could be inserted. My guess is that your first picture shows the thing in elevation (side view) and the downward pointing extension is made to insert into the square hole in the anvil. THen this thing stands proud of the anvil and allows the blacksmith to do detail work on the two protruding horns. In your second pic, you've got it standing on its head. In your third pic, you got it oriented the way the blacksmith would use it. That's my guess, and I'm stickin' to it. Rick

that makes a lot of sense Rick, especially since there are a lot of blacksmith type tools in the collection I have. Also the square part has the edges rounded off and it is easy to grip in your hand if you were to use it that way.

Thats a post anvil. The part pointed down in the first picture is driven into a hole bored in a stump. (sqare peg in a round hole) They are good for very light work only since they don't have the mass to resist heavy hammer blows. If you want to sell it or any other blacksmith tools, PM me.

Rick was dang close.

I don't think it was intended for use as any sort of hand held tool. I think it was a "mini-anvil" attachment for a big anvil. The blacksmith would use this for more intricate shaping than the big anvil horn would allow...tighter curves, and such. This was never meant to strike anything with, it was meant to support a really hot piece of metal which was being struck by another tool. That's the rest of my expanded guess. ;-P Rick

Dune said:
Thats a post anvil. The part pointed down in the first picture is driven into a hole bored in a stump. (sqare peg in a round hole) They are good for very light work only since they don't have the mass to resist heavy hammer blows. If you want to sell it or any other blacksmith tools, PM me.

Rick was dang close.

Well, now that explains the taper, which I was having a hard time resolving. I think Dune's the big wiener, here. :cheese: Rick

Thanks guys,
now that I know what it is I think I will keep it and use it once and a while. I may have a few other tools or things that I could post for ID.

It is a nice one and in great condition. It is easily pre U.S. civil war and hand forged from wrought iron. (hand made iron with so low a carbon content as to not be considered steel) Often for some reason, idiots decide to blunt the pointd on these types of inplements and it is the sharp, original condition points of the two horns which indicate the great condition. Please post any more oddities you may have.

mikeyny said:
This strange almost mid-evil looking tool has been in with a collection of old hand tools handed down from my father from his father etc, etc. Mostly old draw knives (i still use them) wood hand planes levels and stuff like that. This one is strange, anyone recognize it.

Looks like a green Crayon to me! :cheese:

anyone have any idea what it might be worth. I really don't think I would sell it, just wondering.

A blacksmith might pay 50-$100. A tool collector 100-$250. Unfortunately for us who make a living using increasingly rare antique tools, Ebay is the best market pricewise for the seller. In reality, your stake is more of a collecters item than a usable tool these days, since most modern blacksmiths are fairly well equiped, even to the point of making their own anvils if need be.

Dune said:
A blacksmith might pay 50-$100. A tool collector 100-$250. Unfortunately for us who make a living using increasingly rare antique tools, Ebay is the best market pricewise for the seller. In reality, your stake is more of a collecters item than a usable tool these days, since most modern blacksmiths are fairly well equiped, even to the point of making their own anvils if need be.

http://www.iforgeiron.com/forum/62-anvils/

Status
Not open for further replies.