Strong smell from pallet stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zuzia2008

Oct 7, 2008
Pa
My husband installed pallet stove in our basement. The whole house smells horrible when the stove is on. There is no visible smoke. What is the problem?

He needed to install a Pellet Stove, Pallet stove smell from the pallet they burn.... Ha Ha
Sorry I just had too.

Hello and welcome to the forum.

This topic has been covered extensively if you search around a little bit.

But anyway, most likely your new stove is "burning off" the paint and other materials used in it's construction.

You'll have to run it really really hot for an extended amount of time (preferably with a window open and a fan exhausting the smoky air) to completely burn away all of it.

Some of the more clever people around here set up their stoves outside for the burn-off then install them indoors later on.

Mr Whitfield said:
He needed to install a Pellet Stove, Pallet stove smell from the pallet they burn.... Ha Ha
Sorry I just had too.
I was wondering how you get the pallets into the hopper. :cheese: I'm sorry too I'm having a bad day and I too could not resist. I saw the post and it made me smile. The smell will go away as the newness burns off. You should be fine. If it doesn't go away then worry. BTW welcome

Status
Not open for further replies.