Structure for String lights/Sun Sail

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

gggvan

Dec 6, 2012
Will this work? I have some 16' ipe deck boards left over. I'm thinking of ripping 3.5 wide boards in half, burying 4-6 ' and using them to hold string lights and a sun sail for shade. I'm thinking just a 2 dimensional, 8-10' rectangle with a brace in the middle. The lower part would be fastened to the deck rim joist. One end of the sail will be attached to the house.

Are 1.75 boards too thin

I can't keep up with umbrellas on this side of the deck anymore, too windy and storms pop up unexpectedly.

This is a little hard to envision... I get the goal, I'm just not quite sure how you are proposing to get there.

What about using 4 boards to make a box beam to hold up the lights and sail? That should be plenty stiff enough and have enough compression strength to support everything.

Also, if the issue is that winds take down your umbrellas, then it's probably an even bigger challenge with a sun sail... they don't call it a "sail" for nuthin'. If you can skip the shade, I would imagine that it would certainly hold lights.

This is a little hard to envision... I get the goal, I'm just not quite sure how you are proposing to get there.

What about using 4 boards to make a box beam to hold up the lights and sail? That should be plenty stiff enough and have enough compression strength to support everything.

Also, if the issue is that winds take down your umbrellas, then it's probably an even bigger challenge with a sun sail... they don't call it a "sail" for nuthin'. If you can skip the shade, I would imagine that it would certainly hold lights.

I'll try to draw something up. The sail is more horizontal, not an umbrella, so a good portion of wind should blow the same way. Most importantly, if the sail fails. it won't hurl a huge metal structure 8' in any random direction. Maybe I can attach it to the deck below to anchor it. One end of sail attached to house, the other ends attached to the new structure, with a second line down to the deck. So the top structure board is really just holding it up, not supporting all the stress.

I'll try to draw something up. The sail is more horizontal, not an umbrella, so a good portion of wind should blow the same way. Most importantly, if the sail fails. it won't hurl a huge metal structure 8' in any random direction. Maybe I can attach it to the deck below to anchor it. One end of sail attached to house, the other ends attached to the new structure, with a second line down to the deck. So the top structure board is really just holding it up, not supporting all the stress.

what a coincidence, had 50+ winds blow through last night. was 60d overnight low... on 12/1 !