Stuff that goes wood cutting with me. pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
I've spent this winter doing some upgrades to be ready for the coming wood cutting season.
I started cutting on state land for $10/cord. After ironing out some of the procedures I needed to make it doable last fall,
I made a few upgrades to improve my techniques.
2 new RSC chains for the 20 Husq
New stihl PMC chain on the 14" saw.
New a Cant hook
Made a hookaroon
Made a hinged ramp tail gate on the trailer
Couple more coils of rope to drag the logs to the trailer.
New chain saw tools, metric allens, files & a chain saw tool box.
Some flo pink ribbon on the tools, (spent some time looking for tools last year, hard to find in the woods sometimes)
New axe handle

Need to do yet:
Make a way to skid the logs behind the ATV better, some kind of sled that I can chain the butt end into & drag it easier.
Front tire chains for the ATV
Maybe some flo orange or pink spray paint

Attachments

• 100_7223.jpg
    100_7223.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 560
Wazzup with the drywall square? Gonna rock the shed?

LLigetfa said:

To get all the round the same length & square cuts LOL :lol:
Actually
Was using it to line up the 2Xs & thought it might give sized reference for the picture :)

He's prolly gota "square up with the state" prior to cuttin wood. You know you have to dot all your eyes and cross all your t's if yer gonna do something that has to do with the state people.

It is amazing how much stuff we acquire to collect our "free" wood. Looks like you are set up pretty well set up there. I'll have to lay out all my stuff some time and see how big a pile I have.

I thought everybody had a 44 magnum when they were in the woods up there? I guess the noise of the chain saw keeps them away. I recently added a peavey and what a nice tool that is.

LLigetfa said:

Naw, he's seen enough pics of members woodpiles that are perfectly straight, plumb, perpendicular, parallel and shot with a transit that he thought he better at least start his piles with a square!!!

MarkinNC said:
I thought everybody had a 44 magnum when they were in the woods up there? I guess the noise of the chain saw keeps them away. I recently added a peavey and what a nice tool that is.

That's like the truck key, can't go with out it, & always with you.

yooperdave said:
LLigetfa said:

Naw, he's seen enough pics of members woodpiles that are perfectly straight, plumb, perpendicular, parallel and shot with a transit that he thought he better at least start his piles with a square!!!

Gotta stack it in the trailer, gotta be straight, even, square & plumb. Weight & balance are important :)

buggyspapa said:
I don't see a beverage insulator...

Water while out cutting. I drive to & from the wood cutting sites, no DUI here ;)
When I get the load home, then it's time for the MGD :)
I'm "Old school", Driving, chainsaws & guns, if doing/using any of them, no beer (alcohol) :zip:

Bigg_Redd said:
A sheetrock square? Really?

What's wrong with that? I like to make sure my rounds are cut to precise lengths. ;-P :lol:

153087_lg.jpg

bogydave said:
LLigetfa said:

To get all the round the same length & square cuts LOL :lol:
Actually
Was using it to line up the 2Xs & thought it might give sized reference for the picture :)

I never mark when I cut, just eyeball everything! :vampire:

zap

There is no room in the truck for wood, ha, ha. You have too many tools. I agree with marking things orange, I hate leaving things in the woods. I find just a Fiskars and a Chain Saw with some backup gas is about all I need. It is nice to have a backup saw if you get one stuck.

MasterMech said:
Bigg_Redd said:
A sheetrock square? Really?

What's wrong with that? I like to make sure my rounds are cut to precise lengths. ;-P :lol:

153087_lg.jpg
LOL
WOW, a 2 foot long vernier caliper! Does it need a thermometer to compensate for expansion/contraction when reading the vernier scale?

My logs come cut to roughly 96 inches but I like my wood to be around 20 inches which is not evenly divisible. I want to make an elastic measure tape that will give me 5 equal lengths rather than end up with a shorty.

GolfandWoodNut said:
There is no room in the truck for wood, ha, ha. You have too many tools. I agree with marking things orange, I hate leaving things in the woods. I find just a Fiskars and a Chain Saw with some backup gas is about all I need. It is nice to have a backup saw if you get one stuck.

I keep thinking the same thing. Look how much more wood I could haul if all I took was a saw & some gas & oil. LOL
You haven't seen the other thing I have to take to the woods.
An ATV, I have to go back in a few hundred yard to get to trees
(all the stuff close to the road has been cut in the state wood area I cut in)
If I took the ATV trailer I'd have a full load before I got any wood. :)
If it were easy, everyone would do it.... :)

Attachments

• 100_6729.jpg
    100_6729.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 176
  • 100_6773.jpg
    100_6773.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 170
Status
Not open for further replies.