Stupid Quetion time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnywarm

Minister of Fire
Sep 12, 2007
Connecticut
I received a can of spray glue with my insulation kit.No instruction's with the kit. Do i use the spray glue on the liner where the seam is when the insulation is rapped around the liner so i can wrap the insulation with the metal mesh or spray the whole liner then install the insulation???

well no glue used at all. just the silver tape and the mesh sock. just waiting on the short leg kit.

your supposed to spray the flexpipe real fast, wrap the insulation around it, tape the seam, wrap with the sock.
(and make the Benny Hill ending credits music sounds with your mouth)

not the end of the world if you didnt.... its just another $5.00 item they include, charge you $20.00 for on the back end, and make you feel like its a big complete kit.
so long as you feel its snug.

I did not insulate my liner but have much experience with spray glue. If it is hot out the glue will dry very fast and when cold it will stay tacky longer. You do not have to be frantic when doing it - just do not be slowwwwwwwwww

this video has been posted here several times, and is VERY helpful if your planning a DIY liner install. It will explain everything pretty well. I didnt see the need for the glue, so I didnt use it and had no trouble. Keep in mind that the guy in the video is no rookie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

mr_garrison_stupid_people.jpg

:)

RAY_PA said:
this video has been posted here several times, and is VERY helpful if your planning a DIY liner install. It will explain everything pretty well. I didnt see the need for the glue, so I didnt use it and had no trouble. Keep in mind that the guy in the video is no rookie.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRauuzjI-H4

I did not use it and i agree with you.

John

Liner is in and now i wait on the short leg kit. Pics soon.

John

Adios Pantalones said:

Or maybe perfectly valid questions, just stupid answers from those of us who don't know but won't admit it and feel compelled to make something up, pretending as though we really do know. %-P Rick

Adios Pantalones said:
I'm not sure why your family lets you out of that deluxe shed of yours :)

What makes you think I'm not in it? :coolsmile: Rick

johnnywarm said:

John

How long did your install take? What size flue & what size liner where you installing? Any tips for the install? Just curious as I'm doing this on Monday.

gangsplatt said:
johnnywarm said:

John

How long did your install take? What size flue & what size liner where you installing? Any tips for the install? Just curious as I'm doing this on Monday.

It is 16' long. you will need two people on top,one to hold it the other to shove it down the hole.its easy or the one i have was.the tile's are 12.5 -- 13"s.

John

fossil said:
Adios Pantalones said:

Or maybe perfectly valid questions, just stupid answers from those of us who don't know but won't admit it and feel compelled to make something up, pretending as though we really do know. %-P Rick

Thanks Rick!! he's on ignore. my first on here.

johnnywarm said:
...Thanks Rick!! he's on ignore. my first on here.

You can't be serious...I certainly wasn't, nor was AP. Rick

Home Depot sells a special heat resistant foil tape for $6 /roll . It is peel and stick and won't burn

thats the trouble with internet forums, you have to 'surf' for a while and get to know the folks first, before you assume folks are blasting you. if you watch for a while, you'll figure out that AP and Rick like to have a little fun and pick...and yes, they get picked on as much too....all in good fun

Adios Pantalones said:
I'm OK with being ignored- my first wife primed me on that pretty well LOL

I hear ya. Hell, you pay closer attention to me than either of my first two wives did. %-P Rick

fossil said:
Adios Pantalones said:
I'm OK with being ignored- my first wife primed me on that pretty well LOL

I hear ya. Hell, you pay closer attention to me than either of my first two wives did. %-P Rick

Baahaha.......What? you say something? ;-)

Jags said:

OK, that's it. I don't have to take this kind of abuse. I'm puttin' you on ignore, Pokey. :lol: Rick

fossil said:
Jags said:

OK, that's it. I don't have to take this kind of abuse. I'm puttin' you on ignore, Pokey. :lol: Rick

I'mmmm ignoriiiiing Youuuu!!

Status
Not open for further replies.