Sudden Smokey Smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rachel

Sep 28, 2008
western ma
We have a 2 year old Kozi shop stove in the basement. We have run it for 2 winters now with no trouble. we clean it out according to the manual before the new season and light cleanings regularly. We have been using it for about 2 months with no trouble and then all of the sudden about 2 weeks ago there appeared a smokey smell from the stove. I looked thoroughly and found no visible smoke coming from anywhere. We gave it a good cleaning and still it's a bit smokey. We have continued to use it with no increase or decrease in the smell. Any ideas?

irm said:
We have a 2 year old Kozi shop stove in the basement. We have run it for 2 winters now with no trouble. we clean it out according to the manual before the new season and light cleanings regularly. We have been using it for about 2 months with no trouble and then all of the sudden about 2 weeks ago there appeared a smokey smell from the stove. I looked thoroughly and found no visible smoke coming from anywhere. We gave it a good cleaning and still it's a bit smokey. We have continued to use it with no increase or decrease in the smell. Any ideas?

Have you checked the gaskets and all of the pipe joints in the venting.

If you took the combustion blower off to clean it properly you might have nicked the gasket or not gotten the blower back together snugly.

There are tons of reasons why the joints in the venting can have come loose as well, settling of the house walls is but one thing that could cause a seal to fail (like around the thimble, see comment coming about a window). Also if the pipe got hit. It is even possible that some fumes from the vent outside are being pulled back into the house because of a window that isn't fully closed.

Maybe someone could speak with Mrs. Smokey and try altering his diet. Beano has always worked well for me in those unfortunate circumstances.

Doocrew said:
Maybe someone could speak with Mrs. Smokey and try altering his diet. Beano has always worked well for me in those unfortunate circumstances.

Mrs. Smokey doesn't stand a chance altering my diet doing so would likely cause her problems. I'm generally stuck eating what she can.

My guess is that there has got to be a leak somewhere either the stove itself or the exhaust pipe in the cellar.

Grab a bright flashlight and turn the lights off in the cellar, preferably pitch dark. Wait for the stove to start up (or force a startup) and carefully inspect everything using the flashlight, holding the light beam adjacent to the joints, etc. If there is a leak, you should be able to find/see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.